Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr bullet tip deformation

JunotFranco

Quick question here.  I am using 147gr xtreme bullets for my 9mm.  I have used this setup for only those bullets.  I ran out of them and the only thing I could find was Berry’s bullets.  When I run the Berry’s through the seating die it gives me a weird circular deformation at the tip, almost like nipple looking.  Has this happened to any of you? BTW they are going to correct OAL. 

7 hours ago, JunotFranco said:

Good there is consensus this is probably nothing to be worried about!

Correct. Softer coatings combined with heavier bullets are more pronounced. 

16 hours ago, JunotFranco said:

Quick question here.  I am using 147gr xtreme bullets for my 9mm.  I have used this setup for only those bullets.  I ran out of them and the only thing I could find was Berry’s bullets.  When I run the Berry’s through the seating die it gives me a weird circular deformation at the tip, almost like nipple looking.  Has this happened to any of you? BTW they are going to correct OAL. 

I have used the same bullets for minor and PCC, never have any marks on bullet,  What seating die?

The shape of the free floating bullet seating plugs differ.  They go from a total flat end to various cone shaped types.  Compare the shape of your 2 bullets.  I think you will find the Berry's to be more rounded than the Xtreme.  I like to match the bullet shape to the seating plug, but then it may be just too much nit picking.

Edited by Wheeljack

I too was using a Dillon seating die and loading SNS 147 round nose. Was experiencing the same “nipple” look on the bullet tip. I believe the Dillon seating stem for the round nose has a vent hole at the tip that causes the “nipple” formation when seating a soft bullet. I changed to a Redding micrometer seating die and now my loaded rounds have no “nipples”.

6 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I too was using a Dillon seating die and loading SNS 147 round nose. Was experiencing the same “nipple” look on the bullet tip. I believe the Dillon seating stem for the round nose has a vent hole at the tip that causes the “nipple” formation when seating a soft bullet. I changed to a Redding micrometer seating die and now my loaded rounds have no “nipples”.

Ok because that is what I am looking to go to.