Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice session round count

MJinPA

Yep due to limited budget I shoot about 150 rounds per practice session (1/week). I have a plan before I get out there so I have an idea of what I want to work on. I could easily shoot 4-500 per session if I could afford it. I always leave wishing I had more ammo but it is what it is. I don't ever feel like it was wasted time because I have a specific plan on what I want to accomplish for the day. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:00 AM, rowdyb said:

I used to go often, shoot about 200 and leave. After talking to other people, specifically Elias and Ashley they told me to go to the range less often but up my round count while I'm there.

Instead of the 4 times a week shooting 200 rounds I'd be better off going 2x a week and shooting 4-500 rounds.

Why? In what I was doing they said it was a good way to stay comfortable and always "on the gun". But to learn something new and really make it my own in took significantly more reps/rounds than the 200 I was doing So now I do go less often but shoot more while there.

To go from the "Oh, oh OK now I see it." level of just understanding I was getting with only a couple hundred rounds to the level of "Oh yeah, now I'm getting/doing it." level by shooting 4 to 5 hundred.

Definitely agree here.

I feel that you should do at least the quantity you shoot at a match. Big matches are ~300 so in my eyes you have to do at least that much, the fact that you need to be able to have your hands resist the fatigue is a big enough reason.

Also what people are saying about getting into the groove is important. I think 1 400 round sessions is more valuable than 2 200 round sessions. I know I start connecting the dots best after 100, so only shooting another 100 after I'm warmed up isn't worth it.

Another aspect is, setting everything up can be a bit of a PITA. Show up, go into clubhouse, get key. Get in car drive to gate, get out, open gate, move car through. Get out, close gate. Get in, drive up further to range. Setup 5 target stands, steel, metrics, w/e. Reverse procedure to leave. Probably 25-30 minutes spent just arriving and leaving. Not worth it to me if I can't get at least 300, usually 400.

I'll also live with skipping live fire a week since I am pretty diligent dry firing. Usually 1 live session Saturdays, match sundays, dry fire weekdays. 

On 6/12/2018 at 4:15 PM, SCTaylor said:

Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you've gotta figure out what mental connection is happening at "warm-up" and recreate that early on. Is it just mental focus? Comfort behind the gun? Mental confidence you can do x, y, or z in live fire?

On 6/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, SCTaylor said:

I edited some stuff out... haha.

Seriously though, nix the work crap. Improvement takes a lot of metal effort. I’ve had a few complete crap show major matches due to taking calls or sending work emails or general stress because the boss was a dick about taking time off.

Either shut off the phone or go during complete off work hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill tag along with these, not the being a jerk part, but Id be curious to know how your match performance is? Do you find yourself needing 3-5 stages before you're comfortable, and seeing what you need to be seeing? If at matches you are shooting what you would consider your "match ability" out of the gate, then perhaps it does come down to being distracted during the times you have for practice.

Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you've gotta figure out what mental connection is happening at "warm-up" and recreate that early on. Is it just mental focus? Comfort behind the gun? Mental confidence you can do x, y, or z in live fire?

^this is what I’ve noticed helps me get more out of practice sessions. Being ready to practice & focus on what I’m there to do. Everything else is on pause. Warm up, limber up, a mag or so check my gun, grip, holster, draw, etc... & then get to what I’m there to practice on.

A caution to long practice times is mental fatigue. You can nit pick yourself into frustration if you go too long. I try to work on about 2-3 things per session while maintaining good form.