Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Ultralight (not lightweight)

Looking at getting a barrel for a build.  I like my brother’s JP lightweight barrel but I am using a billet receiver (mega) and an older stock that I have (Magpul UBR or something, cant remember) that is somewhat heavy.  It does not bother me because the weight is in the back and not up front on the end that gets swung.  I reckon I will be using heavy stuff AND lightweight stuff on this but its what I got and its what I am going to use.

anyway, I was looking at 16 inch barrels from JP comparing the lightweight to the ultralight weight.  The ultralight is crazy light at  1.6 pounds including the gasblock and muzzle device.
the lightweight is 2.2 pounds in the same configuration.  (no thermal dissipater, that’s the one thing I didn’t like about my brother’s rifle.  It is just added weight)

then I got to thinking, Ultralight and pencil barrels heat up fast so the heat sink might be a good idea on that barrel and needed more than the other JP barrels, including the light weight one.  The heat sink on the ultralight brings the weight up to 1.9 pounds.

So thats only a 5 ounce difference between the light (without radiator)  and the ultralight (with radiator).  Is the ultralight really even justified at a five-ounce difference?

I understand there are weight junkies out there but I am going to be using a Geissele M-Lok handgurad which leads to other problems with that radiator.  (It fits but it JUST bearly fits)

My guns are heavy and I was just wanting to build something light for a change.

Wondering what other opinions might be on this.

Lightweight w/o Dissapator: 2.2 lbs (35.2oz)
Ultralight  w/ Dissipator: 1.9 lbs (30.4 oz)
Ultralight w/o Dissapator: 1.6 (25.6 oz) and crazy light but i think it will heat up like nobody's business

I was excited about that ultralight since i first read about it but i am thinking it probably isnt worth it in the end.

Don’t forget titanium vs steel comp... 2oz hanging at the very end of the gun makes a difference. I am leaning towards 14.5 light with titanium comp...  UL is probably fine but I would feel better with a little more meat on the bone. 

oh i know it will be accurate, i just dont know how fast it heats up.
I have had plenty of experience with barrels that heat up and shoot poorly as a result.  i dont see how a JP barrel would be different after it heats up.
i am just going to debate this some more with myself.

i really dont think the weight difference with the heat sink on the ultralight compared to the light barrel justifies it.  i dont know if i am gaining anything from the ultralight over the light in that configuration.

i planned on the titanium brake.  mostly because i think titanium is cool.... hahaha
I am feeling the same way GIO, about having more "meat on the bone" as you put it.

i know the lightweight ones are good but i am WANTING the ultralight. 
and i know the heat sink would hit the inside of my hand guard when fired due to the tight clearance.  just the vibration alone would make it wack the inside.  So thats out the window anyway right now.

• 1 month later...

The heat sink does make a differnce in dissipating heat to keep your barrel shooting true. And with the sink the UL is still lighter. Why not get the barrel with the sink and try it out both ways. If you don’t like it I’m sure you won’t have any trouble moving it. I know you will be out a little money and time, but as the great Keith Garcia says “you don’t know what you know until you know it!!”

I own both models in question, 14.5 ultra light and 14.5 light contour JP rifles. Both rifles are set up identical. On the bench the light contour out shines the ultra light due to easier to hold. The ultra light is capable  of great groups, but not it’s main objective. Carry rifle, hunting rifle and love it for hoser type match. I shoot it out to 400 yards with 4 power scope no issues on steel. I find my self grabbing the ultra light more when hunting or as a ranch gun. Both guns are great! For shooting matches, I would use the ultra for shorter range type matches and light for matches with greater distance because it is easier to hold or lock into position. 

Both have JP heat disapators and have not experience any heating issues during practice. I hardly ever use my 18 inch light model unless my goal is shooting long range since I have purchased these two rifles.

hope this helps, cannot go wrong with either.