Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor 9 Using 3n37?

rtr

I shoot a major 9 open gun, with a lighter spring I can shoot factory minor 9 ammo too.

My major load is 7.7gr 3N37, Federal SRP, 124gr MG JHP at 1.160 OAL.

I'm thinking I could load some minor 9 ammo (for steel and my fiance to shoot with) with 3N37, everything else the same but I don't know where to start.

According to the Vhit loading guide it list between 5.4-6.7 for a couple different 124 grain bullets. Opinions or experience for something that is enough power factor to cycle the gun and ring the steel?

Am I wasting my time and should just shoot whitebox 9 instead?

getchoo some of that major match prize table powder for minor 9mm...its my understanding that 90 percent of VV powders given away are N330. <_<

does the gun shoot whitebox 9mm well?

how bout the blazers?

my open gun wont run with anything less than 160 power factor even with an 8 pound spring...6-7 pound springs are just getting silly!

I found that the powder did not burn completely and left granules everywhere.

Agreed. It also accumulates in the comp and you can get some unexpected flame. :lol: There are better choices for steel loads. Light bullets will generate as much gas for the comp as possible. Some of the factory loads use heavier bullets. For the last steel match I used:

5.7 N4340

115 FMJ Zero

1209fps

139 Pf

I would go lower now that my gun is broken in. If you don't want to reload then just use the Winchester. At least you can recover the brass.

• 2 weeks later...

I load 5.6 3N37, 124 MG FMJ, WSPM primer, OAL 1.140.

It works great in my wifes G17 open gun with a 8 port barrel, and I can use it

as a steel load in my G17 open guns if I run a light comp. Recoil spring is

ISMI 13 lb cut 5 coils.

rtr - If you can stand not using VV powder, get some Titegroup and use 4.2 - 4.4 grains under the same bullet and OAL (might need to change from SR primer). I use a Zero 125 JHP over 4.2 grains of TG at 1.14" in my stock CZ-75B and get ~1050 fps.

rtr - If you can stand not using VV powder, get some Titegroup and use 4.2 - 4.4 grains under the same bullet and OAL (might need to change from SR primer).  I use a Zero 125 JHP over 4.2 grains of TG at 1.14" in my stock CZ-75B and get ~1050 fps.

How clean does that load burn??? is it pretty consistent over the chrono??

eerw - Going from memory here, the SD was single digit. No unburnt powder in the barrel, but I clean the gun after every 2-300 rounds. I do need to point out that I use Federal 200 primers rather than 100s, mainly because I think the cups in the 100s are too soft. It groups five shots in 1.5" at 25 yards from a sandbag - not bad for a $350 gun, eh? ;)