Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleared Hot.

dkamps

Alllright.

This forum and the diaries have sparked a new level of training dedication I haven't felt in a while.

Background:  I have been out of the game for a while now due to injury. I get fixed via scalpel in June, and can begin training/shooting again first or second week of July.

Stretch Goals: I'd like to M class Limited by this time next year.

Intermediate goals: A class in USPA, and M class in IDPA

Immediate goals: finish in the top 30% Overall at Safariland Expedition Multigun Championship in Vegas June 7-11

Ill be posting up and recapping my Dry fire/Live fire/Physical training I do once a week, Ill post some videos of the multigun competition to keep me honest and hope to get some pointers!

Current weakness I am working on: Stage planning and execution, transitions, entry and exit time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Good luck with it    :) 

Guess you're currently a B shooter ?

thanks!

work the past year + kept me away from the Wednesday night USPSA matches in my area, I shot one classifier stage as a B with a few failure to feeds due to an over tensioned extractor for the few times I was able to go. I’ll be making many more this upcoming year.

Currently at the USSL Safariland Expedition Multigun Championship in Vegas and had a few good stages so far... one meh stage.. and one stage that felt like I threw the match away.. but there are 10 more to shoot; so gotta keep on keeping on and do my best, put that one behind me...

I had to do a reshoot (cursed by the reshoot gods) after a super smooth run for my “meh” stage and it did not go to stage plan (after my first run went to stage plan)... then on the next stage when the Neuralyzer buzzer went off I completely forgot about 3 steel targets way out at the end of the berm...

I chose not to engage them after the fact (under the assumption they were 4 sec each and had already wasted that time), turns out since they were >45yards they were worth 10 sec a pop... that well crushed my moral.. luckily it was the last stage for the day.

Edited by dkamps

Best of luck on your journey.  I can speak from experience when I tell you that using a diary on Enos will help keep you motivated to train and track your progress.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Much better day today in Multigun. 

Had two penalties because my foot slipped over the line on a shot, and there was a FTN; honestly no idea how. Every other target had nice close doubles with rifle, but I was shooting on the move pretty quick, might have just held too much holdover and popped one high.  

Everyone was wondering and confused about it lol. 

Either way, with the 30 seconds yesterday I was still 13 sec (I think, maybe 17?) faster than my group on 5 stages, overall I’m happy since it’s the first time stepping into this level of competition. But 5 more Day stages to go and 10 night stages over the next two days.

if you are in the Southwest I HIGHLY recommend this match. It’s been an absolute blast.

22 hours ago, stick said:

Best of luck on your journey.  I can speak from experience when I tell you that using a diary on Enos will help keep you motivated to train and track your progress.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Thank you! I’ve been waiting forever for it and recovery is quick, sadly it had to get postponed... but it is what it is. I can still shoot so all is well!

Finished 9th in division and got an Expert classification for 2 Gun in UML.

Things I did well:

My rifle work I was very, very happy with.

Expert class on my first national level event.

My last two of the three days I finally adapted to this style of competition, I was very happy at the speed and consistency I ended with.

Things I need to work on:

My pistol work was not up to speed, that is where I lost the most time compared to the top 5.

Stage execution was poor on 2 stages; that cost me 3 places on the leaderboard and a semi-pro classification.

Consistency.

Starting speed; I took 5 of 15 stages to ramp up my speed; I'll need to work on having that cold.

Ill post videos here in a few days! Hit me with everything you have... I'm itching for a pro class come 2 gun nats in September and Surefire 3 Gun Championship in Oct.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright; Things I've been working on.

Finished up "With Winning in Mind" and my whole world blew up. While I already did a lot of what was in that book subconsciously, I learned a lot and have begun to implement that way of thinking, goal setting, planning, and executing and its incredible.

About halfway through Practical Shooting, and they go hand in hand. I'm very glad to have found those books through this forum.

Successes:

Speed ladder work tailored for shooting has been beneficial.

Diet has been on point, keep chugging along like this and ill meet my goals in 9 more weeks.

Shooting has been mostly dry fire and mental; I won a local two gun match last weekend, but there was a stage in there that pushed me over the edge into reading With Winning in Mind.

Ive read a decent amount, working out the brain muscles.

Started a shooting journal, that way I can track everything and relay it to here.

• 7 months later...

Need to get back on this.. goals have changed, much more specific now, dropping everything not related to multigun.

2018 accomplishments;

9th at Safariland Expedition Day Match - 2 Gun - got my UML Classification of Expert

1st at Safariland Expedition Night Match - 2 Gun

4th at UML 2 Gun National Championship

5th at Surefire Multigun World Championship - Limited - UML Classification of Semi-Pro

2019 Planned Matches and Goals;

Talladega Noveske Series; Shoot the best I can and have fun, this is a new match and format for me.

Safariland Expedition Day; Shooting 2 gun again since my shotgun will be having work done to it - Looking for a 90%+ and grab the last classification of Pro

Safailand Expedition Night; Win again! Back to back years would be sweet.

VIR Noveske Series; TBD Based on Talladega, mostly improve weak points I find and shoot a better match.

After April is TBD based on my career and where I'll be living next

2019 Goals;

Clean up my stage planning and execution

Continue improving on all aspects of shooting, predominantly pistol and shotgun

Increase my physical ability, agility, and stamina now that I am finally past the rigors of surgery recovery and don't have to compete injured.

Set standards based on top 10% of shooters times, then work to meet an maintain those standards consistently in; gun transition speeds (2 sec), shotgun loading speeds (4 sec), fluidity of movement (TBD), shot entry and exit speed (TBD).

Shoot at the best of my ability and see where I stack up in Tac-Ops, its a much bigger and better pool than limited or 2 gun.

I will be coming up with a set of movement and agility drills I can track my progress on.

Edited by dkamps

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Eight months off ?

Been dry firing ?

Ah I just forgot about this thread for a while, my last match was Surefire in Oct 18.

Surgery the beginning of Nov, physical therapy since, but I'm free of limitations now! Pretty stoked to be able to push myself again.. Been shooting and dry firing since the beginning of January. I'm excited for this upcoming season, first one without dealing with an injury.

• 1 month later...

Update;

Starting tasks and trainers to help with mental management. Memory exercises etc.

Talladega Noveske was my first real match this year... bombed one stage dropping me down to 34th. It was good to see what it was like, pretty excited for VIR this weekend.

Shot 2-Gun at Safariland. Training has been paying off; last year I shot a 71%.. This year 89.6%... 0.4% away from a UML Pro qualification.

I eneded up rushing some pistol killing time missing steel.. but my biggest hurdle was stage plan execution.. passing up and FTE'ing some steel. that one mistake took me from a solid 3rd and let Rob Leatham ahead of me. I'm still happy with my performance... especially against the talent pool that was competing this year.

VIR is next for me this weekend.

UML Multigun championship in May as well as the USSL Grand Championship at the same time.

Things I am working on until then; Attack targets and precision targets for all 3 guns, movement, gun transitions, and most of all MENTAL MANAGEMENT!