Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Decap/Resizing die in Station 1?

Lee has redesigned their Carbide sizing die into a Speed die unless I got a misshipment. It has a screw-on carbide ring with an internal deprime, resizing & belling stem. It is a PIA to use as a resizer & deprimer at the same time. Of course that is not the way the instructions say it is supposed to be used. But then instructions are only means of last resort when things go FUBAR. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
Lee has redesigned their Carbide sizing die into a Speed die unless I got a misshipment. It has a screw-on carbide ring with an internal deprime, resizing & belling stem. It is a PIA to use as a resizer & deprimer at the same time. Of course that is not the way the instructions say it is supposed to be used. But then instructions are only means of last resort when things go FUBAR. YMMV

Thanks all. I use the FCD now and am thinking about trying the Resizeing/Decapper in first station.

• 1 month later...

Until recently, I loaded .40 S&W on my old Lee Pro 1000. I then managed to fracture the main connecting link, and decided the time had come to convert .40 over to my XL650. Accordingly, I purchased a conversion kit, toolhead, and powder die. The Lee sizing/decapping die I have is not long enough to employ the lock ring on top of the toolhead, but there are plenty of threads underneath to secure the ring. It works just as well as the Dillon carbide dies that I have. The seating die mounts in a completely normal fashion, except backed out so that the crimper does not engage. Since I now have more stations to play with, I also bought a Lee FCD die and added it in station 5 in the toolhead. Loaded about 750 rounds on it, and can already say I wouldn't be without it. The transition involved in moving the Lee dies and my .40 reloading to the 650 has been about as painless as I could wish for.

I use the Lee "U" die in 1st. station on a 550 & 650 (9mm,38S,40 S&W,45acp.) These dies have saved me so much money and time reloading! FEW if any loaded rounds fail to size. I have found however, that a little case lube helps on ammo loaded on the 650(helps with the powder spilling when loading near full cases,38 S and 9mm). I pitch the O ring and turn the alum. nut upside down to lock it on both machines. Maybe be a better invention than sliced bread??. mike g

Edited by mike g