Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quad loading question

Just got my Franchi, and I’m starting to practice quadloads. I have a problem which I’m sure is resolved by correct technique, but I’d still like to know what to do if it happens. I’m not sure if I am bumping the shell stop or if I’m just not inserting the shell far enough, but sometimes when I load the first two shells, the second shell gets pushed back out into the loading port preventing me from loading the second pair of shells.

What is the correct procedure here? Do I just rack the bolt and fire the loaded shells and drop the current pair of shells? I’m completely new to shotguns so sorry for the noob questions

Also what sort of live fire drills are recommended if I don’t have steel to shoot at? I’ve been told to get clay and just stand them on the berm and fire at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sometimes when I load the first two shells, the second shell gets pushed back out into the loading port preventing me from loading the second pair of shells.

What is the correct procedure here?

Looks like the Franchi has the same manual of arms setup as a M2, eh? 

If you don't have one in the chamber, just rack the bolt to load that shell on the lifter into the chamber, then continue your loading. 

If the gun has one in the chamber, drop the two extra shells, continue shooting your array, then make up the load during movement/dead spot in the stage for a general answer.  Ideally.  However, depending on the stage setup and shell count, you may need more shells in the gun NOW, so rack the bolt to spit out the one in the chamber, which will load the one on the lifter, then continue your loading.

I’m not sure if I am bumping the shell stop or if I’m just not inserting the shell far enough

When learning the technique, sweep your hand past the port with your thumb trailing flat as you can get it on the receiver, not vertical (so it doesn't go into the mag tube).  You don't stop your hand movement and thumb at the mag tube, you sweep past it.

Also what sort of live fire drills are recommended if I don’t have steel to shoot at?

Clays will work fine.  Just throw them up on the berm in various arrays and work on concepts that you see in matches.  Transitions, shooting on the move.......

Shoot, when lacking targets, I've picked out weeds growing on the berms to use as targets.  ;)

3 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

Looks like the Franchi has the same manual of arms setup as a M2, eh? 

If you don't have one in the chamber, just rack the bolt to load that shell on the lifter into the chamber, then continue your loading. 

If the gun has one in the chamber, drop the two extra shells, continue shooting your array, then make up the load during movement/dead spot in the stage for a general answer.  Ideally.  However, depending on the stage setup and shell count, you may need more shells in the gun NOW, so rack the bolt to spit out the one in the chamber, which will load the one on the lifter, then continue your loading.

When learning the technique, sweep your hand past the port with your thumb trailing flat as you can get it on the receiver, not vertical (so it doesn't go into the mag tube).  You don't stop your hand movement and thumb at the mag tube, you sweep past it.

Clays will work fine.  Just throw them up on the berm in various arrays and work on concepts that you see in matches.  Transitions, shooting on the move.......

Shoot, when lacking targets, I've picked out weeds growing on the berms to use as targets.  ;)

Yea, it's pretty much an M2 :P It's got Benelli all over the box.

Thanks, you covered pretty much all of the situations I was wondering about, particularly the latter. I know loading it in properly would be the best solution :P I will try that thumb flat. I've watched videos where everyone says to not get the thumb inside the tube, but then I started having these issues. I suspect I didn't have the thumb flat enough.

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yea, it's pretty much an M2 :P It's got Benelli all over the box.

Thanks, you covered pretty much all of the situations I was wondering about, particularly the latter. I know loading it in properly would be the best solution :P I will try that thumb flat. I've watched videos where everyone says to not get the thumb inside the tube, but then I started having these issues. I suspect I didn't have the thumb flat enough.

Part of your problem may be that your loading port needs to be opened up more than it is.  The loading port makes all the difference in the world with quad loading.

Edited by CharlieD

13 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Part of your problem may be that your loading port needs to be opened up more than it is.  The loading port makes all the difference in the world with quad loading.

I trust Tom at MOA opened it up as much as it needs to be since he uses a Franchi as well! I started moving my hand faster, and I'm noticing it is easier to get them shells in. I have to poke my thumb in when I'm loading too slow. Unfortunately, moving my hand faster also means I have to get my alignment right which is tough! Much better than yesterday, and I've had minimal amounts of practice. 

• 1 month later...

I have a borrowed TTI M2 that does this as well.  It is super annoying.  It seems like I need to consciously apply pressure on that second shell in the direction of the stop to make sure it stays put and doesn't get thrown back onto the lifter.  Is this a tuning issue with the shell stop or just an inherent part of the design?  I know that Stoegers use a different shell stop design and I've never had this issue with one of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 7:48 AM, TalkingMonkey said:

I have a borrowed TTI M2 that does this as well.  It is super annoying.  It seems like I need to consciously apply pressure on that second shell in the direction of the stop to make sure it stays put and doesn't get thrown back onto the lifter.  Is this a tuning issue with the shell stop or just an inherent part of the design?  I know that Stoegers use a different shell stop design and I've never had this issue with one of them. 

I've noticed that it's technique. It happens more often when the tube starts to get full, and the spring resistance increases. I usually have no problem on the first quad load, the second quadload and specifically the second pair is usually the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

If you did the loading port yourself you may have left to much material and are not able insert the shell past the catch. Like said above you need to pass your thumb past the port. It really just takes practice. 

• 1 month later...

It sounds like you are ghost-loading one onto the lifter, the fix is to make sure you get the shell ALL the way in the tube past the shell catch.

As for a quick fix in a stage? Shoot it out while keeping the rest if the shells in your hand then shoot, or if you are moving a ways, rack it out and keep loading.

For thumb position?

Depends on how the gun is cut!

If it is done correctly, your thumb rides on the two sides of the receiver, never going "in" the gun, momentum is key to avoid ghost loading!