Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Question

On 5/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, PPGMD said:

I've said this in Paulie's thread, but I consider the Spare Parts Kit as an essential as well. The $28 it costs will prevent you from having to wait a week to load if a part breaks. You still call and get the replacement sent from Dillon for free, but instead you get your machine working. And if that part isn't the issue you know then, not a week later.

I’ll probably update that thread!

The other day I had a brass position pin fall on the floor and disappear. Pulled out the spare parts kit to keep running. 

Subsequently found the pin but it hid from me to be sure! 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:40 PM, Tom S. said:

Going against the flow here....  The strong mount is a good item, but if your bench is well built a strong mount may not be unnecessary.  My bench is composed of two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together, with a 1/4 piece of hardboard mounted on top.  I have a 1/4 steel plate under the bed that the press bolts go through, and the bench is tied to the wall.  I have no need for the strong mount and if I did try to use it, the press would stand too high for me to use a chair when reloading.

I don't use the strong mount either. I also sit while I reload, and the strong mount adds enough height that it would make me have to stand. So I really have no use for it. And I use the stock handle, too. May convert to a roller someday, but I kind of doubt it. I load about 400 - 500 rounds per week.

The reason I went from an older RCBS progressive to the 650 is to get a case feeder, so that was just part of the package for me. I've added the UFO light, powder bar knob with index marks, Snowshoe's primer feed lockout, a better unused primer catcher and "crud catcher". I also bought the spare parts kit with it and some extra primer tubes. I've owned it about 5 months now, and I'm not thinking about any other accessories at this point.

I was looking at the Hornady loader hard when I made this purchase, too. The Hornady is a little less just for the loader, but when you add the case feeder to both, the 650 comes in cheaper. And it's nice to have all the after market accessories to choose from on the 650, too. I have no regrets going blue.

Edited by jejb