Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Question

I am planning on purchasing a XL 650 sometime within the next few months and have spent quite a bit of time doing research. It seems every time I see a photo or advertisement there is a disclaimer that says "$1100 as shown" or something to that affect.  When looking at the accessory prices -- Holy Cow.   So my question -- which of the accessories are necessary to make the machine truly functional?  What is the loading rate of the machine out of the box without the additional parts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Get the case feeder. The machine is designed to use it and I think it should be included. Get the parts kit. Everything else is pure wants, not needs

Case feeder is practically a necessity, IMO.  Next on the list would be a bullet feeder.  If you have a tall bench or use a strongmount, an Inline Fab Ergo handle may keep you from having to bend over to pull the handle all the way down.  The last thing I would recommend would be good lighting on your bench or some sort of add-on lighting to the press itself.

yup case feeder.

Visit snowshooze ebay page and buy all his add ons.

at least 1 extra 4 pack of primer pickup tubes per size... That will give you 5 total in each size... 500 rounds is a good amount to load then take a break.

32 minutes ago, L3324temp said:

Case feeder is mandatory. Nothing else is really needed. If you plan to load 1000+ rds per session I would probably go for the roller handle as well as a nice to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this.  I added a bullet feeder and that is worth the money, but it's not mandatory.  Took me from 6~ min per 100 to 4.5~.

Get the machine with the casefeeder and then learn how it all works before you start buying a bunch of aftermarket "fixes" or "upgrades".  There is nothing less fun than hearing a tech support rep tell you to take off all the junk you added to your machine so they can help you troubleshoot a problem or answer a question.  Learn the ins and outs of it and then decide if you need to spend money on the other stuff.

If you've never reloaded before, my suggestion is to skip the case feeder.  This will slow you down, however you'll learn what each station in the press does and when.  Case feeder is super easy to add at a later date.  Takes literally 5 minutes to unbox, slide over the existing mount, plug it in and you're ready to go.

Some things to consider when getting a new 650

• Strong mount. This raises the press up and allows the press to be mounted a little bit away from the end of your bench and still allow the handle to move through its full range of motion
  • You'll need a set of dies, the 650 does not come with any
  • Roller handle and bullet tray can easily be installed at a later date.  However if you have the funds, it may make sense to order them with the press so they are shipped for free
  • Dillon tool holder (and tools) are nice, but not necessary.  The press will come with basic allen wrenches
  • Not Dillon specific, but you'll want a scale (digital or beam) for powder, calipers, reloading manual and case prep (dry or wet) tools.  Bullet puller and lights for the press are nice too.

Good luck, reloading is quite an adventure and very rewarding for many folks

5 hours ago, Poozinsc said:

I am planning on purchasing a XL 650 sometime within the next few months and have spent quite a bit of time doing research. It seems every time I see a photo or advertisement there is a disclaimer that says "$1100 as shown" or something to that affect.  When looking at the accessory prices -- Holy Cow.   So my question -- which of the accessories are necessary to make the machine truly functional?  What is the loading rate of the machine out of the box without the additional parts?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I was in your boat late last year. Got the 650 totally set up now and love it. 

I’ll post a detailed spreadsheet later tonight. 

Essentials:

1. Strong Mount
  2. Roller Handle
  3. Case Feeder

Almost Essentials:

1. Bullet Plate attached to Strong Mount.
  2. Extra Primer Tubes
  3. Spent Primer tube and bottle.
  4. Replace primer/powder overflow tray with after market screw on bottle to catch them.
  5. Polish inside of powder funnel
  6. Mr Bullet powder funnel for pistol caliber your reloading. 
  7. Franklin Vibra Prime
  8. Electronic powder scale. 

Nice extras:

1. Mr. Bullet feeder, mini or electric
  2. Mark 7 Auto Drive

Enjoy!

Wow -- thanks to all for your feedback.  It is greatly appreciated.

I've been reloading for several years on, for lack of a better term, entry level equipment.  I am really looking forward to the upgrade.

If you are new to it as mentioned the #1 item to get is the case feeder.  Get that, run for a while and then accesorize (which you will).  Cuts the sting of the $$$ spent that way... plus you will understand what each change brings to the experince

17 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Essentials:

1. Strong Mount
  2. Roller Handle
  3. Case Feeder

Almost Essentials:

2. Extra Primer Tubes
  4. Replace primer/powder overflow tray with after market screw on bottle to catch them.
  7. Franklin Vibra Prime

Nice extras:

2. Mark 7 Auto Drive

Enjoy!

This man nailed it.

Order it with a strong mount, casefeeder, and roller handle. Add the rest as time and desire and budget permit.

The first ammo I ever loaded was on a 650 with a casefeeder. I still use this press 10 years later. I still have all my fingers and zero blown-up guns.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

19 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Essentials:

1. Strong Mount
  2. Roller Handle
  3. Case Feeder

Almost Essentials:

2. Extra Primer Tubes
  7. Franklin Vibra Prime

Nice extras:

2. Mark 7 Auto Drive

Enjoy!

I've said this in Paulie's thread, but I consider the Spare Parts Kit as an essential as well. The $28 it costs will prevent you from having to wait a week to load if a part breaks. You still call and get the replacement sent from Dillon for free, but instead you get your machine working. And if that part isn't the issue you know then, not a week later.

Going against the flow here....  The strong mount is a good item, but if your bench is well built a strong mount may not be unnecessary.  My bench is composed of two pieces of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together, with a 1/4 piece of hardboard mounted on top.  I have a 1/4 steel plate under the bed that the press bolts go through, and the bench is tied to the wall.  I have no need for the strong mount and if I did try to use it, the press would stand too high for me to use a chair when reloading.

I do however agree with the case feeder and roller handle.  In lieu of the Dillon roller handle though, you might want to look at the one made by Inline Fab.

Lots of good ideas in that thread.  There's a lot of small aftermarket items that make life MUCH easier.  The primer cut-off and the quick change powder measure handle are two that come to mind.  Also if you have the case feeder then the case feeder cut-off is a must.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:11 PM, jhgtyre said:

Get the machine with the casefeeder and then learn how it all works before you start buying a bunch of aftermarket "fixes" or "upgrades". 

The casefeeder is a must. Then just run it. It runs fine as is. The only thing I think might be a must have upgrade is a light. It helps you clean, lube, and adjust.

• 3 months later...

The one other thing I would add is UFO light kit, that thing is excellent for being able to see powder in the case before the bullet seats. I don’t run a powder check die because I have a Mr Bullet Feeder, and I have always liked to have that visual on the powder. It is a great light, I have one on my 650 and also on my 1050 and it is well worth the cost. Just my 2 cents, enjoy your new press

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, PPGMD said:

I've said this in Paulie's thread, but I consider the Spare Parts Kit as an essential as well. The $28 it costs will prevent you from having to wait a week to load if a part breaks. You still call and get the replacement sent from Dillon for free, but instead you get your machine working. And if that part isn't the issue you know then, not a week later.

+1 on this. I’m just setting my 650 up and less than 100 rounds in my locator pin in station five for severly bent and flew out. I’m waiting on a spare parts kit now and I was just getting going.