Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pregnancy and Shooting

Hello.  For you lady shooters out there, I was wondering if there is any danger of pursuing your shooting hobby while you're pregnant (consider the first and second trimester)?  What if you just  sit by the peanut gallery and watch, will the gunshots have any effect? :) Thanks.

Can't speak from the ladies point of view but I did some reading. Ok the wife made me read all these books before the twins came. They can hear and loud noises should be avoided. You also have the lead exposure to worry about. There is enough scary stuff that can go wrong why take a chance and add something too it. Maybe I'm just paranoid but those little ones can't be replaced so I wouldn't take a chance. I went so far as to come in to the basement after shooting and put all my clothes in the wash and then I showered before I even went near her. Now I have two healthy little poop machines. A few more years and they can carry dad's range bag. A couple after that and they'll probably be kickin dad's tired old butt!

This topic made me smile a little.

When I was still waiting for my first to be born I took my wife to my first IPSC shoot.  Like the dutifull wife she sat around in the heat with no bathrooms nearby while we got ready to shoot.  As I got ready to fire I looked back and she was no where to be seen.  

The shock and noise from the first couple of shooters had caused our baby to go crazy in the womb.  Lisa was 7 month's along at that time and she was about 10 yards behind my squad when the shooting started.  She spent the rest of that day in the car, insulated from the noise and concussion.

My daughter, born 8 or so weeks later, likes to shoot though.......

Clearly we waited too late in the pregnancy to expose the baby to the noise and all.  I'd ask a doctor for a better timeline, but when the activity causes the baby to act differently than normal, it's a good bet to stop.

I'm no doctor either.

Tom

My wife is 17 weeks pregnant.  She used to accompany me in all competitions and practice sessions and shoot the videos.  Since the time we found out that she's pregnant I've been hesitant to tag her along.  So I am in the range on weekends and she's left at home...bored.  She actually was the one who asked me to start this thread and ask around since our next visit to the doctor will still be at the end of the month. :) Thanks for the replies guys. Be safe.

We had the same consideration for my wife and she avoided all shooting after she became pregnant.

Guns are loud but even more so to the baby.  Solids/water (my A in physics now pays off!!) conduct sound even better than air so the baby "hears" more.  If you wince/hurt without earplugs, imagine what that sound is for the baby.

Hope that helps.

Some helpful snippets from the British Columbia

(Canada) WCB (Workers Compensation Board) booklet on "Lead - Preventing Exposure at work".

"Family members of lead workers, particularily children and pregnant women, are at risk of lead exposure if

lead dust is taken home on clothes, on footwear, on

the skin, or in the hair."

"Adverse effects may also occur to a developing fetus

(such as low birth weight and developmental delays)

when the mother is exposed to even fairly low levels

of lead. If a woman has been exposed to a significant amount of lead before pregnancy, then during

pregnancy, lead may come out the body tissues where it is stored and it may enter the blood and the fetus.

Lead is also excreted in breast milk."

Hope this helps, actually it reminds me to tell one of our newly married shooters wife (who is pregnant) about lead exposure.

My wife went with me up untill 35 weeks pregnant. my son would jump and kick from the gun shots ( mainly the open guns ). He was born 8 lb. 12 oz. and as healthy as can be. He has very good hearing also. The only reason she stopped going was because the heat started bothering  her. My advise is to go as long as you can because once the baby gets here she will definantly be going a lot less.

I have to edit this because my wife just reminded me of something. She asked the doctor about it when he started kicking and the DR. told her that the baby couldn't hear the shots as much as he could feel them and that it wouldn't effect his hearing as long as she wasn't shooting the gun from her hip. As far as the lead goes I wouldn't recommend her shooting or reloading with lead while she's pregnant.

(Edited by Bigbadaboom at 7:58 pm on Aug. 23, 2002)

(Edited by Bigbadaboom at 8:14 pm on Aug. 23, 2002)

Aw shucks!  Saw the topic and thought we had a thread going about proper etiquitte for shotgun weddings.  "And the father of the bride wore his black broadcloth suit and carried a fine double made by W.W. Greener."  There was a time when we had less law and more justice......:)

Oh well, as long as I'm here....  I would probably stay away from indoor ranges all together.  The chances of lead contamination would be much higher indoors.  All my best to Mother and child.  

FWIW, my wife rode horses up until the 6th month or so. The shooting and reloading went on non-stop for the duration.  Our daughter's 8 years old now and as normal as any kid of mine could be.  Not surprisingly, she loves riding horses and shooting.  

• 4 months later...

Hey gang! Just want to inform you that my wife gave birth to a  healthy baby girl last weekend.  But I'm worried I may develop withdrawal symptoms though. I haven't been dry-firing for almost a week!!  Anyway, just wanted y'all to know. Be safe.