Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Reticle For Cqt

I’ve been using a Leupold CQT with standard circle dot reticle for the past year of and on for Multi-Gun/3 Gun Matches and I have been pretty happy with it. For matches that didn’t have shots past 300 yards, it was great. The one limitation it always had vs other optics it is often compared to it lacked BDC or hold over marks in the reticle to make shooting past 300 yards easier.

Leupold recently sent me a CQT with a new prototype reticle in it to T&E. This reticle was designed to meet the requirements of a particular military design program (as the program is ongoing, I’ll let the Leupold reps give the details if they want to)

Unfortunately I’ve been unable to take a picture through the scope that accurately represented what the reticle looks like. I’ll have to try taking one outside in the sun later this week. Here is a picture of the reticle from the instructions it came with:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/NEWCQT.JPG

EDITED OUT DATED INFORMATION

So far I like the new CQT, it makes shooting long range and smaller targets easier. My first round hit percentage on the long-range steel is much higher with this model than shooting the standard CQT on the same rifle at similar distances and targets. Thus far it is marginally slower than the standard CQT for close range stuff, but I will give myself time and practice to acclimate to the new reticule. My original CQT is now on one of my Mid-Length carbines, between the two it seems more appropriate for the carbine role.

I’ll be using this rifle with the new CQT at more matches in the upcoming months…looking forward to seeing how the equipment and myself perform together in more diverse shooting situations.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Based on your attached image, the reticle appears to be the same reticle that Leupold is putting in the new Mark 4 1.5-5 x 20MR/T M2. We got our first shipment in last week and they have been selling well.

I haven't got any feedback (positive or negative) yet on the applicability of the reticle. I do think it is a big improvement over the earlier design since it allows for holdover without using kentucky windage.

Based on your attached image, the reticle appears to be the same reticle that Leupold is putting in the new Mark 4 1.5-5 x 20MR/T  M2.    We got our first shipment in last week and they have been selling well.   

I haven't got any feedback (positive or negative) yet on the applicability of the reticle.  I do think it is a big improvement over the earlier design since it allows for holdover without using kentucky windage.

I just got one of the MK 4 1.5-5 MRs recently too...the reticles are very similar, though I believe the 1.5-5 reticle has more markings that are more suited for use with its higher magnification.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I need to correct some of the information I posted regarding this scope.

The reticle is calibrated for 5.56mm ammunition, and is meant to be zeroed in the center of the 2MOA open area between the cross hairs at 100 meters. The top of the bottom post is for 200 meters, then the tick marks correspond to 300, 400, 500, etc.

I re-zeroed my rifle today using the correct zero range and confirmed that the reticle does work as it is supposed to with 5.56mm ammunition.

These reticles are now available through the Leupold custom shop for around $170.00.

Which plane is the reticle in?

second focal plane.

I'm glad to see a horizontal line in the reticle now. My only gripe with the old one was shooting out at distance and if you needed to hold a little higher/lower. Not a big deal for most shots, but just enough to bug me. It's actually the same problem I have with the Trijicon Accu-point.

If there still is a good center point of illumination or the ring still illuminates, it'll be a great scope, especially with it's low power/no-power setting.

When I get back, I'm going to be running a TA01NSN or TA11 with a JPoint. I'm hoping it'll be the perfect setup. The goal is to get proficient enough to just use the TA11 donut for everything. We'll see.

Thanks for the info though. This definitely keeps options open.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

SinistralRifleman -

Does Leupold give the drop in inches for the 200,300,400,500,and 600YD

tick marks using the 100YD zero?

Or do they state the bullet weight, velocity,elevation and mounting height

the range finding reticle is designed for?

Why Iam asking this is the same reason JP ent. has his custom reticle

put in the TA-01. it must be correctly calibrated for the criteria

stated above.

Craig P.S. - I also use this scope in competition :)

Edited by CraigS.

Russell,

The custom shop charge that you referred to...will they accept a current CQT and retrofit a new retical? I loved that scope, except for long range shots, it became too unreliable. Now shooting a TA01 JP with a JPoint and seems to work very nice, however may consider returning to CQT.

SinistralRifleman -

Does Leupold give the drop in inches for the 200,300,400,500,and 600YD

tick marks using the 100YD zero?

Not on the paperwork I have.

Or do they state the bullet weight, velocity,elevation and mounting height

the range finding reticle is designed for?

It says "For M16, M4, and M249 SAW"...I know this was made for an optics program for the SAW so it will probably be closest when used on a 20" barrel. I am assuming it is for 62 grain ammunition, but there is little divergence between 55 and 62 grain within 500 yards in terms of drop from the tables I have.

When I ran the numbers for bullet drop, with my 20" it drops 1.4" at 200 yards with 100 yard zero, and with a 16" barrel it's 2.2" drop...from the zero point at 100 yards to the 200 mark on the reticle is 2"...so it seems to be close enough that any difference won't matter on the 8-16" steel plates we typically shoot.

Russell,

The custom shop charge that you referred to...will they accept a current CQT and retrofit a new retical? I loved that scope, except for long range shots, it became too unreliable. Now shooting a TA01 JP with a JPoint and seems to work very nice, however may consider returning to CQT.

Yes it can go in any existing CQT.

• 1 month later...

Russell

Do you have any contact information or the name of who I might talk to in the custom shop. I made an effort to speak with someone from leupod at the shot show but could not find anyone with any knowledge about this reticle. I called today but was told that they weren't doing anything for the CQT's yet. Thanks Cody

Russell

Do you have any contact information or the name of who I might talk to in the custom shop. I made an effort to speak with someone from leupod at the shot show but could not find anyone with any knowledge about this reticle. I called today but was told that they weren't doing anything for the CQT's yet. Thanks Cody

I heard the final reticle design will be approved on April 1st...do you need your scope upgraded or are you looking to buy a new one?

Though this is taking longer than Leupold said it would initially, the good thing is they are listening to user feedback.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• 6 months later...

Russel,

So is this going to be a regular custom shop change for them? I like it, it's simple and clean. I think initially (meaning without actually looking through the glass with this reticle) my only gripe is that it's a bit busy (the 700m, 1500m and 2000m settings I think are a bit ambitious) and probably aren't necessary.

It's good to see them dropping the price a smidge, so if all goes well, I think I'll run it or an EOTech at the Area 6. Still deciding if I want some magnification or not.

Thanks again for the help and hope to see you soon.

Rich