Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing The Sights Lift

I was out on the range today practicing and finally I am "seeing" my sights lift and come back. Granted I was shooting at only 10 yards but WAHOOO! Probably 90%A zone hits at my current top speed. Rick's a happy camper now. :D

This is the first time I have been able to pick it up like this after reading all the tips I can find and trying all season. I just hope it continues as I am shooting at the Inland Empire 3-gun Championships this weekend. This will be my biggest match to date. (This is my first season gaming.)

It's weird, but tracking back to my roots in action shooting skills, I recall "noticing" things like sights lifting, the manner in which the gun recoiled, tension and strain in muscles, etc. and I remember making a conscious effort to force myself to NOT notice them because I believed that was wrong. I believed that to control a gun at high speed you HAD to make a (big) conscious physical effort.

Then I started reading this forums and opening my self (mind, body and soul) to the shooting experience.

My point is that in the beginning, my natural reactions were revealing me the path to high speed shooting and I consciously blocked them with judgements on how I thought things SHOULD be, instead of realizing what they ARE.

I did my first 3-gun Friday and I didn't "notice" or even see my sights lift. Mmmm, I have much more practice to do. But OMG it was fun. :D

Some things I did well at and others not so well. I think I do better when I go first on a stage too. I have this inate "need" to do better than the guy in front of me even knowing that I need to do my best and not the other guys and gals. Oh well, another learning issue that someday will become ingrained.