Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Team Gold Open in 38 Super

phil plesetz

The wife shot her gun tonight at the indoor range and felt as if stuff was hitting her. ( not impacting hard but definitely felt it) She lays a felt mat down on the bench to protect her gun and noticed bullet jacket schnibbles all over the felt. She stopped shooting and packed it up for the night.

Been using the same reload for several years and never noticed this before. Any idea whats happening?

The bullet holes in the paper were round, so NO Tumbling, and accuracy did not seem to be affected.

Reload info:

124 grain Precision Delta Round Nose Jacketed bullet

Speer 38 super Case

7.0 grains SR7625 powder

Winchester primer

Thanks,

Phil

Hard to diagnose when we don't know what bullet jacket schnibbles are. Are bullets hitting the comp baffles (assumed since it's an open gun)? You might be able to see this on the comp.

And where did you get the Speer 38 Super brass?  Don't remember seeing that around.

It almost looks like little particles of the ceiling falling down from the concussion of the barrel ports.

Not saying that's what it is,  but this is what would happen to me when I shot my open gun at an indoor range.

I blew out a few light bulbs too. 

As others have said take a look at the entire gun from brass to baffles, and we hope you find the answer.

37 minutes ago, phil plesetz said:

We thought of that too, but my wife had a piece stuck in here jacket, and didn't think it came from above.

Thanks,

If there is nothing wrong with the gun,

another possibility is that she could be catching bullet fragments from people shooting on the other side of the range.

I've shot indoor matches where I've been hit by ricochet pieces of lead that have stuck in me, which sucked.

What color was the piece that stuck in her jacket ?

Thanks,

Edited by gunnit