Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun slide length(m&p)

smolphry

I'm planning on building an open gun on an m&p 2.0 for steel challenge and uspsa. I realize it's not the ideal platform but as someone who doesn't reload and is working with a budget it's the direction I'm heading. My question is on slide/barrel length. Since sight radius is irrelevant is there any advantage in going with the 5" gun over the 4.25? My though is that the lighter slide may cycle better with factory loads, can anyone shed a little more light on the situation? 

Edited by smolphry

The 4.25" will be easier to get a threaded barrel for.  Without reloading up toward major your not going to get much from the comp.  Carver probably has everything you'll need.  I did one in .357sig from a .40 gun and used all Carver stuff minus the Storm Lake barrel.

You sound like the perfect candidate for Carry Optics. 

And I would go with the shorter slide.. the pistol  should be cheaper and easier to find. 

Carver uses KKM barrels that are a tad shorter than normal so there is not an unsightly gap between the comp and the slide.  You want a 5" barrel, because it is easier to make Major with it.  You can buy 9mm Major ammo from three places online.  I'm not sure whether anyone sells 115gr loaded, but two sell 124 and one sells 147.  You definitely want the 124s.

I shot with a friend yesterday.  He was shooting a 5" M&P with Carter's open stuff on it.  It was his first time shooting Open.  He did well except for a lot of find the dot.  He had previously shot CO and was used to slide mounted optics.  With a Carver bridge mount and a Slideride the dot is so far above the bore, he had trouble picking up the dot.  It will take him a week or so of dry fire to get used to drawing the new setup.

• 3 weeks later...