Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus Where?

ParaJoe

I've been at this for a while and I think that I am a little confused about focusing. It's more of a where to focus than a how to type of question. Usually when I am shooting I tend to focus more on the target than the sights. My eyes are set on the target, the A zone, and the gun is brought up and into the picture. Usually the front post is picked up first and the notch is aligned with the front post in alignment with the A zone and then I pull the trigger. This whole process takes as long as it takes to get the A. Now when I'm doing this it's just happening and I'm not thinking about it. It kinda looks as if I'm focusing in the middle of the two and being as the target is fuzzy and the sights are a little less fuzzy. There isn't anything wrong with my vision as I can see each perfectly if I were trying to see each one.

But here's what did get me thinking and has been bothering me. I was sitting in my shop today awaiting something to do. As usual I was reclined in a chair staring at the ceiling. So I was practicing shifting my eyes from one fire sprinkler to another and another and so on. Well I found that as I was doing this, I wasn't really "focusing" in on each one, I was waiting to see each one than moved on. This confusion went on for a while and on my way out to a job I tried it out on a couple of signs. The signs were on a set of double doors about 20 yards away and getting bigger. As I was switching back and forth between the two quickly, I couldn't read each one, but I felt as if I was in "focus" on each.

I'm going to go study the chapter in "the book" that covers this but I was liking to get some insight from everyone else. Thanks for the direction,

JOe

Sounds like your (mental) priority might have been to see the next thing just come into focus...but, not allow yourself the visual patience to allow it to come into focus long enough to see the details?

Worth experimenting with, for sure.

I think your right about that Flex. I have some little circles on the walls in my practice room and moving between them I noticed that as soon as my eyes fixate onto any of them they are already moving to the next one. After I read the book again it seems as though I am using the Type 1 focus. I'm going to the range tomorrow and will test my theory.

Let us know what you see when at the range in live fire.

I'd suggest being careful to not be judgemental about what you see. Don't get too caught up in playing the "I'm am supposed to be seeing x" game. Just be open and aware and notice where it leads you.

I think that I am lacking mental discipline(sp). Recently I have been working on improving so much that I believe I haven't been concentrating on the fundamentals. I tried something the other day and it brought this into the light more as I went. I shot a 3 target array similar to El Pres at 7, 10, 15, and 25 yards. At 7 and 10 yards I was hitting A's without much trouble but at the further distances my accuracy went down the tubes. At the 7 and 10 I was seeing a Type 1 or 2 focus level but I believe that I am carrying that out to the further distances as well. The patience to wait for the sights to focus on the target is evading me.

So I'm starting over. Obviously I have missed a key concept to success in this game and therefore I'm going to the range to work on accuracy. I think that watching everyone going fast has made me want to also, and I did. A lot of the local shooters motto is speed first, accuracy will come. I have fallen into this trap and must pull myself out of it. Well, I'm off to give this a try.

JOe

Thanks for the link Rick - I was thinking the same thing.

Most IPSC shots/targets can be handled with this visual plan - Always look for something specific, but once you find it don't look there too long.

Depending on the next target's distance and the size of its maximum scoring area, you should clearly see either, at the least, the targets precise shape, or at the most, the center of the target. Once you see that, or better - upon the instant you see that, your gun will move right to that spot without any further visual effort on your part. Experiment with that by pointing your finger at different light switches around the room. As soon as the target is located, in order to hit it as quickly as possible, the question - "when is the gun pointed at it"? - is the next critical piece of information your mind must have. At the earliest opportunity, you must know when your gun is pointed at the target. So once you've located the target, where and what should you be looking for in order to know that? Depending on target size and distance, at the most, it may be right at the front sight, or at the least, a "blur" of the sights as they come into the target. As soon as you see what you needed to see in order to know that you hit the target, your eyes are off again in search of the next target.

be

:rolleyes:

I just pointed at a bunch of light switches, name plates and cubicle hanger attachments (yes, I'm at work). Now if I can just learn to point a pistol as accurately as my finger! And, more importantly, learn why I don't seem to be able to at the moment?