Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting

I've noticed something new recently in dry-fire. I'm faster, without any loss of precision when I *want* to get from one target to the next. I think up until now, I've been fairly lazy about getting from one target to the next, just sorta letting the gun do it's thing and getting there when it gets around to it. Now, I've noticed when I'm *really* tuned in to the task at hand I *want* to find that next target.

It's different than rushing and it definitely has nothing to do with flailing the gun around wildly and ripping on the trigger. Somehow, the wanting or intent to get from A to B makes things go faster. It's really noticeable.

Wish I knew how to better explain what's going on. Hopefully I'll *want* to get around the course of fire come game day.

Wouldn't what you describe as "wanting" be a better focus on the task at hand.

I know that when I dry fire some times I feel like doing it and some times I don't but I do it anyway. On the days that I realy want to do it I also practice thinking and seeing more. On the other days its more of just going through the motions.

Having a clear sense of what you intend to do really helps. I had this realization a couple months ago myself. I just formed this intent in my head and "turned it up". I was way faster and way more accurate than I have ever been since that day.

I call it practicing with intent. I also practice when I don't relly feel like it and I get out of it what I put into it. At times it seems that when I do that then I don't get nearly as much out of it.

One thing I tell my students is that when you're not "into" practicing, first sit down and will (focus) yourself into the proper frame of mind and then most of the time (with practice) you will obtain a better frame of mind to be able to get better practice. I think that when we practice while we are only partly focused we only maintain our current skill level rather than make it better.

I hope this doesn't seem to much like rambling.

Stringed instruments are the same way, if you want to get to the next note in time, you have to get on the way, right away, but not too early and not too late ;-) With intent is exactly right.

--

Regards,