Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL to fit DAA gauge

Amra86

I'm new to reloading.

I made a few dummy rounds at 1.135 to plunk test and check for feeding out of the magazine. They passed the plunk test in the barrel and cycled through the gun.

I had to shorten them to 1.120 to fit the DAA gauge.

My question is, should I load them at 1.120 to fit the gauge or load them at 1.135 since they pass the plunk test.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Amra86 said:

Do you mean pick the gauge up off the bench?

The 1.135 won't pass the gauge even if it is picked up off the bench. 

Hmm, must be cut differently than every other gauge? Should be cut for the mouth to bottom out and let the bullet be free hanging. At least my Dillon and Hundo work that way. There may be another reason they don't fit the gauge besides length then.

Edited by Sarge

2 hours ago, Amra86 said:

should I load them at 1.120 to fit the gauge or load them at 1.135 since they pass the plunk test.

No reason to load short to make them fit a gauge - the whole idea is to get them to

chamber in your gun ....

Why the huge difference in your chamber and your gauge is another story - be nice if

you can determine how to rectify the discrepancy, so you can rely on the gauge    :) 

Something doesn't sound right. What bullet are you loading? What's the case mouth measurement of a finished round? The gauge should allow for a 1.135 OAL. Are you using the gauge below?

20-pocket_2.jpg

Edited by 4n2t0

17 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Something doesn't sound right. What bullet are you loading? What's the case mouth measurement of a finished round? The gauge should allow for a 1.135 OAL. Are you using the gauge below?

20-pocket_2.jpg

Yes, that is the gauge.

Sarge is right the gauge is not cut right. I was using a friends gauge until i got one for my self. The new DAA gauge came today and the bullets will drop all the way thru the gauge.

Thank guys. I'm new to reloading and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

2 hours ago, Amra86 said:

Yes, that is the gauge.

Sarge is right the gauge is not cut right. I was using a friends gauge until i got one for my self. The new DAA gauge came today and the bullets will drop all the way thru the gauge.

Thank guys. I'm new to reloading and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Perfect!