Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer not resetting with Spike's buffer spacer

I have a PCC with a Colt lower (made 10-12 years ago) and an upper that came from Spike's Tactical.  It works fine as original, but I was concerned about the potential wear on the bolt stop so I tried adding a buffer spacer from Spike's.  I have one of these spacers in a RRA PCC and it works fine in that gun. For some reason the hammer does not seem to be resetting in the Colt/Spikes gun.  It will fire the first round in the mag and load the next one but the hammer is not reset. When I pull out the spacer the gun runs fine.  The buffer is the original from Colt and weighs 5.4 oz.  I'm using a ramped bolt.  I guess I could try a thinner spacer or perhaps a longer buffer without a spacer. What is the best approach to reduce wear on the bolt stop and have the gun function?  Thanks for your suggestions!

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Or maybe I could get a longer buffer so that I don't need a spacer. I was looking at the Spike's ST-9X as a starting option.  Perhaps I might want a stiffer spring with the heavier buffer.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Or maybe I could get a longer buffer so that I don't need a spacer. I was looking at the Spike's ST-9X as a starting option.  Perhaps I might want a stiffer spring with the heavier buffer.
How about a slightly longer buffer tube ... I have one from a PSA AR10 that's slightly longer than a normal carbine tube ... Would be ideal for this if you want to keep it simple

$20 shipped... Pm me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I started my 9mm AR with the RRA std. length solid buffer (5.4 oz) as I was swapping a 9mm & 5.56 upper on the same lower, ran fine with both but when I eventually got another lower I added 7 quarters as a spacer which helped but eventually dropped in a Spike's ST-9X 8.5 oz dedicated length buffer. That ran even better and had no problems with loads from light range to +P.

I also played with a Wolff xtra power spring but the ST-9x with a std. spring handled a wider range of loads than the RRA 5.4 oz + xtra power spring and the ST-9X +xtra power spring was a great setup for +P loads but would choke on some factory loads.