Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Gear Question

I actually went through this exercise last year.  I found things like speed belts and stuff for us 'fluffy' fellas--that is the major problem.  (of course it depends on your shape--I'm pseudo normal--beer belly top, so I can do IWB or Kydex Holsster w/o issue).  No way in hell I can Junk Carry, but my sides are flat. 

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Ultimate-Competition-Belt--P4644.aspx 

THat's the belt I got as I was a 56 inches measured (by the video) at the time.  Pant size was 48, but they were one of the few I found (actually only) to go above 50.  Mag pouches/holster were normal (Ghost/BOSS Comp-Tac) buy as again, I am 'straight sided' and a drop offset holster for USPSA production give a lot of side room.

That for me was the big one--the belt.  Pants and shirts--I love Duluth Pants as generally other pants get ripped when moving around strenuously. Plus they can double as casual work pants.  Shirts are just whatever I can find at 4-5X.  5XLT is perfect for me (I am fat AND tall...double slap for clothes). 

Also--Yeah it sucks getting plus size gear.  But get out there and go!  Its been great for me.   Go shoot. Have fun.  Beats being miserable.  I've been there (Hell I still am)--don't let it get you down

Edited by Crazy Scientist

6 hours ago, thebigbeardedchef said:

Lots of options when you don't know anything about the sport and don't  have anyone to get the information from. 

I'd get out to some local shoots and see what other shooters are doing - especially the

heavier shooters.  

Talk to them - they'll probably be happy to let you try their gear (after the match).

Should answer a LOT of your questions.

Also, depends on whether you're shooting Production or Open - you don't have NO problems

if you're shooting OPEN - you can wear anything you want, anywhere you want it    :) 

16 hours ago, Crazy Scientist said:

I actually went through this exercise last year.  I found things like speed belts and stuff for us 'fluffy' fellas--that is the major problem.  (of course it depends on your shape--I'm pseudo normal--beer belly top, so I can do IWB or Kydex Holsster w/o issue).  No way in hell I can Junk Carry, but my sides are flat. 

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Ultimate-Competition-Belt--P4644.aspx 

THat's the belt I got as I was a 56 inches measured (by the video) at the time.  Pant size was 48, but they were one of the few I found (actually only) to go above 50.  Mag pouches/holster were normal (Ghost/BOSS Comp-Tac) buy as again, I am 'straight sided' and a drop offset holster for USPSA production give a lot of side room.

That for me was the big one--the belt.  Pants and shirts--I love Duluth Pants as generally other pants get ripped when moving around strenuously. Plus they can double as casual work pants.  Shirts are just whatever I can find at 4-5X.  5XLT is perfect for me (I am fat AND tall...double slap for clothes). 

Also--Yeah it sucks getting plus size gear.  But get out there and go!  Its been great for me.   Go shoot. Have fun.  Beats being miserable.  I've been there (Hell I still am)--don't let it get you down

Brother a fellow tall and fat man! I'm 6'5 with a 32 in inseam. 5xlt and 4xlt are my life. I can carry OWB and IWB at 3 and 4 without issue. I'm going to go ahead and pick up that belt. Thanks for the input and information man. 

I'm 6'1" with a 29 inch inseam so also into tall shirts which is important to keep tucked and out of the way of the draw. One more suggestion is a good pair of suspenders. I think mine are Carharts. Helps keep the gear up on the waist.

I'm 6'7" and weigh in at about 375...waist size fluctuates between 50 and 54. I think I have the size 56 CR Speed belt...inner belt to which the outer attaches with velcro...that I use for USPSA, with a Blade Tech offset holster and Blackhawk mag pouches. I've had really good luck with my competition gear. I don't carry, but if I did I think I'd need to go with a shoulder holster, and even then I think I'd print unless I started wearing even bigger tents. I really can't imagine, given where I carry most of my weight, ever carrying in or outer waistband...it just looks like it would be uncomfortable.  Otherwise, my biggest challenge is being too damn slow when running through the stages!