Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft gun for training?

colt45acp

Good morning Sir. When he was John Kennedy I am retired law enforcement officer and also I retired I PSC competitor. I also hold a concealed weapons permit, I carry anytime I leave the home.

I'm also 75 years old and going to the range regularly is somewhat problematical for me. So I do use a small framed semiautomatic Airsoft to keep my hand eye coordination up to par. Do not scrimp on the cost of the Airsoft pistol as the pistol must be accurate out to at least 30 feet. 2H accuracy is acceptable. I have a regular set of timed drills I'd run through every couple weeks if I don't shoot for any other reason. I also have a laser on my training pistol as I carry a Smith & Wesson 380 with built-in laser. If there's time to engage it it will be invaluable in lowlight situations so you should practice with a laser if you intend to have one. It is certainly well and my confidence level of being able to protect myself and my family is high. Hopefully it will never be an issue or necessary. Attached picture part of my yard showing the type targets I use.

for iti.JPG

11 hours ago, colt45acp said:

I was considering looking for  an airsoft pistol, something like a GLOCK, to use for training at home instead of dry-firing my G34 every time.  

Do you think it's a bad idea?

No, it is a good idea, as a supplement to dry-fire and live-fire.  It should not replace dry-fire completely, and you'll want to be actively checking yourself with live rounds to ensure you are getting the results desired.

Use black BBs.  White ones may distract you and cheat your vision/shot-calling.

Don't get lax on your grip.

I like to stick to one shot on targets and work on transitions, moving eyes, and sight pictures, not recoil-influenced things like two on paper or bill drills, such that you don't cheat yourself out of live recoil.  

I used to run propane in mags, but it is temperature sensitive and is recurring cost, whereas an air-driven rig by compressor is cheaper long-term and not weather-sensitive.  Much more shooting with much more stable performance for much, much cheaper.  YMMV, as it depends what drills and things you want to work on, i.e. long movements hindered by being hooked up to a hose.

tactrainers.com, tell them I sent you.  Excellent, durable, affordable product line.  

• 3 months later...

When going from airsoft to firearms do U have any trouble with differences in trigger pull or anticipating recoil? I have considered airsoft for practice around the house instead of dry fire. 

• 3 months later...

If anything it should help you to not anticipate recoil (flinch).

I only have a spring gun you have to cock each time, but the trigger break is similar although lighter and spongier.  Since the spring releases like a striker, it jerks the same way.  Trigger control and grip can cause the same problems on target, so I think it's great.  The accuracy and range will keep your targets closer though, but this is good for indoor shooting.  (They can still dent wood and walls be advised)

With good "BBs" and a soft trap, you can reuse them.  It's easy to burn through 60-100 shots when you leave it out.

• 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Dpolk said:

When going from airsoft to firearms do U have any trouble with differences in trigger pull or anticipating recoil? I have considered airsoft for practice around the house instead of dry fire. 

Airsoft is an awesome way to simulate recoil for your 2 shot strings when doing dryfire around your house. It can help you work on sight/target/soft focus as well as trigger, etc. Just saw the cool fire barrels that were released earlier this year. check them out as well.