Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred method to add ball detent

ihocky2

I am going to be putting my 929 on a diet and part of that is lightening the barrel. As a result the front ball detent will no longer have anything to seat into, so I am looking at adding a ball detent to the top of the yoke. With several options available I am not sure which is the preferred method. I can get a threaded post or a press in post from McMaster-Carr, the current one on the front looks like the press in style, or the Power Custom kit to drill a hole and stake in the ball. If going with the Power Custom kit, is the single ball enough or is it better to go with the older double ball installation?

There isn't enough room between the ejector rod and the outside of the crane for a pre made assembly. That makes the Power Custom kit about the only option. I've installed a lot of those, and done correctly, it makes a pretty solid lockup. Install the ball in the crane first, then snap it in and out of the frame a few times and it will make a line on the frame so you can see where it goes and where it stops. Make the detent for the ball a little too far inward to begin with, then widen it toward the outside (left) a little at a time until you get the maximum amount of holding power. It takes some experience to know where that is, but I think you'll be fine. One ball done right is enough.

Edited by Toolguy

Exactly what Toolguy said. He's right on. 

Make that detent a little further in than you think you need it and work out. You'll be very happy with one detent.

The fixture isn't required if you have a good way to hold the yoke in a drill press. 

A drill prrss will work, a mill will be more accurate for setting depth when drilling hole(.250 deep)

Get you some layout fluid, like dykem to figure where the detent needs to be cut in. 

Power custom has a video on the subject, it's not difficult, work your way up the ball when dremeling it in.

https://youtu.be/sdpSniIB3T8