Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B powder funnel issue

I just switched over my 550B from loading 45 acp to loading 45 colt and had a surprise.  When the powder assembly was attached to the powder measure die for the 45 acp the assembly would not rotate once the two bolts were tightened.  When the powder assembly was attached to the powder measure die for the 45 colt the assembly will rotate once the two bolts were tightened regardless of how tight the bolts are.  The 45 acp powder measure die mikes out about .007" diameter more than the powder measure die I have for the 45 colt.  I know I could use the same powder measure die for both loads but I don't want to lose the bell adjustment I have established for the 45 acp.  Loading the 45 colt the powder assembly rotates on the powder measure die and is only restrained by the failsafe rod that attaches the powder measure to the failsafe return bracket.  Is this an issue that can negatively affect my powder dispensing or create other problems???  Anyone else have this condition??

Sounds like you’re saying one powder die was improperly machined. This is a new die, I assume? You could “rig” it by wrapping the undersized die with something (Teflon pipe tape, electrical tape, etc) to make it work, but if you contact Dillon, I bet they’ll replace that die.

Stuff happens. I have a shell plate (can’t remember if it’s the .30 carbine or .223) that wasn’t machined properly and cases won’t sit in it, and my first strong mount didn’t have the side accessory mounting holes tapped to the right size, so when I tried to assemble the press, nothing would attach to the sides of the mount using the screws provided.