Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regular LH Safety and thin RH on Shadow?

lfine

Am I OK in Production (and function) with using the regular Shadow safety on my left side (for support) and the thin on the rhs? Or do they both have to be one way or another? Pardon me if this is a newbie question but this is one I want to make sure of before I start fitting of parts. Thanks

I think you are on thin ice at best and at worse going to go to Open at major matches.  Doubt any issue at a local match since most clubs don't inspect firearms for rule compliance.

Reason I say there may be a problem is what you mentioned you want to do does not comply (IMO) with the following USPSA rules for Production:  

1.   Appendix D4,   21. Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compli-ance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation which autho-rizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division.

2.  Append D4,  21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts. Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below.{emphasis added} Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers..

• Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

I've done this on my 1911/2011s so my knuckle doesn't bump the lever on. Is it legal to mix & match levers on a production/CO gun? Assuming all factory parts. I've seen the almost-flush safeties on CZs & Tanfos, but never mixed with a wide lever on one side. I still like to rest my thumb on a wide lever. 

45 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Is it legal to mix & match levers on a production/CO gun? Assuming all factory parts.

If the parts are both OEM and both guns on the approved list, no issue doing this.  There's still the stipulation that all safety devices must function, etc. etc. so don't get too carried away.

If the pistol ships with the two safeties you are going to that makes them OEM. If the parts comply with the bold in text in 2 it is rules compliant. The only problem I see is if match staff doesn't know the pistol ships with two safeties.  You need to show it does if questioned. Or, demonstrate the parts comply with the bold in 2. And, hope staff accepts your proof or be willing to arbitrate the ruling. 

Wierd things can happen at matches and match staff is never all knowing and/or right in all calls. They can make mistakes.