Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which pistol for first USPSA Match?

gunz213

Some guys from work invited me to the State USPSA match this May and since it’s during the week I’d be able to swing it schedule wise. I don’t have time during the weekend to attend the local matches and I probably won’t until late summer or fall.

I will do a lot of dry fire and airsoft drills in my garage between now and May, but I thought I’d ask which gun I should use? This is just for fun for now and I’m not willing to buy another gun just for this.

What I have now: 

STI Eagle 6.0 in .40 
Beretta 92A1 
Sig P320 FS 
Glock 34 with RMR 06 
Glock 19 with RMR 06 

I’ve got a few other pistols but those are my best options. I’m leaning toward shooting production with my 92, but the STI is a definitely a close second.

I don’t like the FS 320 as much as my 320 TB and I’m not sure if I want to try CO.

Do you have a holster and mag pouches for each corresponding option?  If the answer is no you could let that drive your decision back the the Eagle as it would be simple to pick up a STI rig in the classifieds compared to the 92.

IMO I would use what you feel most comfortable with. If you already have mags and a holster than that would drive my decision towards that gun. I personally would lean towards the Eagle but if you shoot the Glock more and have the equipment go that route. If it’s just for fun then use what you have. You will learn so much more showing up with what is comfortable and watching as you go.

A little off the topic of which gun, but it sounds like you're going to make your first match a major?  Lots of stages, assume Level 2?  If that's the case, I strongly suggest you find time for a local or two first.  

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You get a DQ for endangering other shooters  ....

I'm always "concerned" about getting a DQ.    

Yep. Or yourself. When I fumbled a mag and inadvertently and instinctively  tried to grab it, I just barely muzzled myself while in slide lock. DQ! Now I think about doing whatever I can NOT to DQ at every start.