Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Technique Tips

You placed well overall, especially since this was your 4th match in PCC if I remember what you said. You're super smooth on most of the stages, and I wish that I had your control on the smaller poppers. Those gave me fits all day long! Here's a little stage-by-stage breakdown of what I see:

Stage 7- I bet your hits were a little off on those targets through the last port. You see how you're still moving to try and get them into view? I know it probably felt like you were rushing to shoot at the drop-turner, but taking a wider stance would have been more stable. Otherwise a good stage. 

Stage 6- Good stage for you, you kept moving the whole stage and saved a lot of time that way. 

Stage 5- Good stage, you did well staying back from that last barrel to make the move from right to left arrays easier. Breaking the gun away from the shoulder is a huge time killer, and staying back from ports does wonders for reducing it. 

Stage 4- I'd only change one thing here: taking more of the targets from a single position. I stopped before that barricade on the right that's painted red, and it allowed me to see the three targets off to the right, the popper, and the swinger from basically the same position. It gave me a more stable position for the hardcovers, and allowed me to more aggressively move to the final port. With PCC you can hammer down quick splits and transitions, sometimes it's quicker to sprint>stop>sprint when you have a lot of targets visible from a single position. 

Stage 3- Good job getting your hits on that swinger! There's not much to improve on with this stage since it necessitates choppy movement and awkward positions. 

Stage 2- I think on this one moving right to left was a better stage plan. You made it work well, but you see how you had to go into a hard lean to start on that first partial? Having to line that up, and then start moving the opposite direction from an awkward position costs time. Instead, you could have shot from right>left and ended with one of those trademark USPSA "falling-out" shots to save time. 

On the whole you did very well, and I think you're settling into PCC division just fine :)

19 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

You placed well overall, especially since this was your 4th match in PCC if I remember what you said. You're super smooth on most of the stages, and I wish that I had your control on the smaller poppers. Those gave me fits all day long! Here's a little stage-by-stage breakdown of what I see:

Stage 7- I bet your hits were a little off on those targets through the last port. You see how you're still moving to try and get them into view? I know it probably felt like you were rushing to shoot at the drop-turner, but taking a wider stance would have been more stable. Otherwise a good stage. 

Stage 6- Good stage for you, you kept moving the whole stage and saved a lot of time that way. 

Stage 5- Good stage, you did well staying back from that last barrel to make the move from right to left arrays easier. Breaking the gun away from the shoulder is a huge time killer, and staying back from ports does wonders for reducing it. 

Stage 4- I'd only change one thing here: taking more of the targets from a single position. I stopped before that barricade on the right that's painted red, and it allowed me to see the three targets off to the right, the popper, and the swinger from basically the same position. It gave me a more stable position for the hardcovers, and allowed me to more aggressively move to the final port. With PCC you can hammer down quick splits and transitions, sometimes it's quicker to sprint>stop>sprint when you have a lot of targets visible from a single position. 

Stage 3- Good job getting your hits on that swinger! There's not much to improve on with this stage since it necessitates choppy movement and awkward positions. 

Stage 2- I think on this one moving right to left was a better stage plan. You made it work well, but you see how you had to go into a hard lean to start on that first partial? Having to line that up, and then start moving the opposite direction from an awkward position costs time. Instead, you could have shot from right>left and ended with one of those trademark USPSA "falling-out" shots to save time. 

On the whole you did very well, and I think you're settling into PCC division just fine :)

Thanks for taking the time to critique.

On Stage 7, did you just take a single wide stance and shift your body to get all the targets into view?  Thinking back on that one, I don't know if I identified a place that I could stop to see everything, but you are right.  Once I hit the activator on the move, I was hurrying to get the dot on the drop-turner.  As it was, I ended up waiting on it to turn and foudn myself too far back to see the rest of the targets.

I actually screwed up my plan for Stage 4.  I was going to take that open target at the back right from the same place as the 2 hardcovers, but when I shot them on the move, I ended up going too far and lost sight of the open target.  That would have eliminated the last transition through the port (and the foot fault!).  I can see where moving quickly to one spot as you described would have allowed for faster, more stable shots.

Yep, I just stayed wide and shifted around to see everything. I've found myself preferring that kind of hard commitment to a single position in PCC much more than I did in Open. If I were to engage target arrays in Open like I do with PCC now, I think I'd end up doing a lot of standing reloads.