Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How short can I load 9 major?

spininfirec

10 minutes ago, spininfirec said:

I dont know if it is nitride or not.  I thought H&M did the gun and they do black nitride.  Who is Matt that can throat my barrel?

Matt Cheely. Cheely Custom Gunworks also the “C” in CK Arms.

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Matt Cheely. Cheely Custom Gunworks also the “C” in CK Arms.

Ahh, that makes sense.  Like someone else mentioned, I never checked with CK arms.  I had the gun "cleaned up" if you want to say and didnt know if they would be mad at that.  

Thanks

update,

I talked to Bobby at CKarms today.  I asked for Matt and I guess he doesnt work there or does he?  Anyways, he didnt want to talk about it.  He told me to send the barrel and they would send the reamer through it again.  But he acted like the barrel was perfect and should work fine and didnt think the reamer would take any metal off...  Not too hopefully. for   

Bullet wise, I only loaded bullets at 1.155 OAL and tried diff powder charges.  I'm setup for my 3gun load now in my limted gun so I will switch in a few days.  I order some new projectiles to try.  Everglades ammo.  Will try them out.  I'll go as short as 1.135 to see if they fit tin the chamber.  

2 hours ago, spininfirec said:

update,

I talked to Bobby at CKarms today.  I asked for Matt and I guess he doesnt work there or does he?  Anyways, he didnt want to talk about it.  He told me to send the barrel and they would send the reamer through it again.  But he acted like the barrel was perfect and should work fine and didnt think the reamer would take any metal off...  Not too hopefully. for   

Bullet wise, I only loaded bullets at 1.155 OAL and tried diff powder charges.  I'm setup for my 3gun load now in my limted gun so I will switch in a few days.  I order some new projectiles to try.  Everglades ammo.  Will try them out.  I'll go as short as 1.135 to see if they fit tin the chamber.  

Do you case gauge all of your ammo? Are you 1000% sure your crimp is enough to pass a Saami gauge on diameter and taper of the case? Not the length of the case nor the oal of the round, but if your taper and crimp aren’t under the spec, you can have him throat ream it until the reamer’s in the comp and your ammo still won’t fit.

been there done that and over reamed a chamber because I didn’t confirm/ triple check this.  If your ammo gauges and you still have an issue then it could be the chamber, 90% of the time it’s gonna be your ammo though so I’d rule any possibility of that out before you do anything like throating or reaming the barrel.

Just because it runs in another gun doesn’t make your ammo correct.  Sure he can make your ammo run by reaming but you’ll alway have to load oversized or limited crimp to maintain the accuracy after that’s done.

just do yourself a favor and use someone else “Long” ammo first and see what happens, as well as gauge your own

On 1/17/2018 at 9:44 PM, drewbeck said:

Do you case gauge all of your ammo? Are you 1000% sure your crimp is enough to pass a Saami gauge on diameter and taper of the case? Not the length of the case nor the oal of the round, but if your taper and crimp aren’t under the spec, you can have him throat ream it until the reamer’s in the comp and your ammo still won’t fit.

been there done that and over reamed a chamber because I didn’t confirm/ triple check this.  If your ammo gauges and you still have an issue then it could be the chamber, 90% of the time it’s gonna be your ammo though so I’d rule any possibility of that out before you do anything like throating or reaming the barrel.

Just because it runs in another gun doesn’t make your ammo correct.  Sure he can make your ammo run by reaming but you’ll alway have to load oversized or limited crimp to maintain the accuracy after that’s done.

just do yourself a favor and use someone else “Long” ammo first and see what happens, as well as gauge your own

I actually just tried someone elses bullets.  I ordered projectiles and have not had the chance to mess with my own loads yet.  I prob jumped the gun just because I have already had this issue with another gun.  

On this gun, I actually had rifling marks in the projectile with my buddies loads I mentioned.  I will do some playing with loads before I get the barreled reamed though.  Thanks for the advice.

6 hours ago, spininfirec said:

I actually just tried someone elses bullets.  I ordered projectiles and have not had the chance to mess with my own loads yet.  I prob jumped the gun just because I have already had this issue with another gun.  

On this gun, I actually had rifling marks in the projectile with my buddies loads I mentioned.  I will do some playing with loads before I get the barreled reamed though.  Thanks for the advice.

Who built his gun?

No offense, but please learn from this dude, calling out your smith on quality issues on a gun that you qc’d someone else’s ammo for them is a f’n joke.

Im not a a paid gunsmith but have an idea of the brain damage people like you cause them inadvertently with a post like this on a public forum..

its like you asking your plumber why the toilet won’t flush but you Haven’t tried the handle....

youre messing people’s livelihood and income whether you are smart enough to realize it or not

And this has zero bearing on whether your friend is Max M, or a D, C, B, A,  M or GM class shooter, his ammo may run fine in his few guns, but you’re worried about you’re gun having quality issues when it was built by someone with hundreds or thousands of guns to their name without these issues...

i have no tie to your builder I’m just befuddled why people don’t look in the mirror before they say it’s broken