Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fault Lines and being exposed to targets

cgrivois

In 2017 I shot 5 Major matches and got a cover call in 3 of those..lol.. One match I got a cover PE on 2 different stages. Of course they were all taken off, but still kinda of funny some SO's still using the old rules. One match had the fault lines set up about 6" inside the wall on 2 different stages and found out it was from one SO that set both of them up, clearly making it hard for some shooters to engage the targets without falling over or being in a shooting position crowding cover just to engage targets making the shooter lean way out, then him calling cover..  When asked about it during the walk thru, I was told to suck it up and shoot it.. Clearly wrong and there is now a new rule in place to dispute a stage, if found unsafe to shoot due to the position of the fault lines . I feel that if a SO yells out cover in 2018,then causes the shooter to stop or pause shooting, then a reshoot should be given to the shooter..

When viewing a stage (before shooting it) a shooter finds

he or she is unable to maintain secure footing while

engaging targets they may protest the stage by notifying

the CSO.

From:http://files.constantcontact.com/e473c9ac101/e7babca1-074f-4a63-b8ec-03fe47b28892.pdf

I hear these same discussions locally at matches, I personally like the fault lines it makes it an easy black and white decision on when to issue a PE. The idea that this is combat shooting or training for such to me is false. IDPA is a game we play, it will help hone some of your gun handling skills for sure and that is a good thing, using a timer and keeping score add some stress which is the purpose and it works, we have all experienced buzzer brain. As far as reloading, to me I like the new way better as well, but the old way did not bother me.

I can say for a fact I have gotten more PE penalties since we started using fault lines mainly because the SO can more easily see it even if they are not in the perfect position.