Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Nj Shooters Here

rubberneck

I have been shooting IDPA for a while but am starting to get an itch to shoot USPSA. I guess one of these months I'll drag myself to Old Bridge for a match.

I do have a question though. Because of the mag capacity restrictions here in NJ are there any guys that shoot open in out of state matches and what do they do with their mags? I am assuming most guys shoot limited, L10, and production.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear (never shot NJ but have driven through) some out of state/in state guys "plug" (wooden/plastic dowels) their mags for transport to and from. Once on the range they remove the plugs. No point in shooting Ltd/Open with 15 round mags.

It's the hollow point thing that has some spooked. One round, one year, two rounds two years, ect., you get the idea. Yea I know most HPs we use are non-expanding but try and explain that one when you have hundreds.

I guess one of these months I'll drag myself to Old Bridge for a match.
do yourself a big favor...and go to the next match at old bridge. i've only been to one of their matches (i'm from maryland), but it was one of the best local matches i've seen. they ran 7 pretty elaborate stages. a couple more stages and it could have been a sectional or area match. if i lived closer i'd shoot that match every month.

Well the next match is in two days, this Sunday, and new folks are always welcomed. We are only running 6 stages this month because we are short some (important) people who are at the nationals.

The hollow point thing is actually a misconception. The law doesnt prohibit the ownership, transportation or use of hollowpoints. It is kinda strange and what it prohibits is wiered. It basically says that you treat HP ammo as firearms, in other words dont walk around with it in your pocket when you are shoe shoping. Here is the NJ police official statement on it http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

As for capacity .. Wood dowels make nice plugs and everyone uses them to transport their magazines around. Thats all I can say, but I shoot production and L10.

Oh and one more thing, it seems that the weather will be in the mid 80's this weekend which should be a pleasent change from the last couple of matches when the temperature was been in the high 90's with humidity to match.

That MAY or NOT be true. The current interpretation of the law is unclear. The link above is to a PROPOSAL that got shot down a number of years ago and never become policy. That is not to say that the final result of a court case would not agree with the policy listed above. As far as I know no court case ever addressed it, and I sure as heck dont want to find out :)

Actually, it's an administrative law, which the NJSP already adopted:

The State recognizes that some of its representatives may have provided informal advice to the effect that an ammunition magazine may be temporarily blocked to hold no more than 15 rounds; however, the Attorney General has never expressly adopted this position. To the contrary, through the promulgation of this regulation, the State expressly rejects that interpretation of the statute. Any person who currently owns or possesses an ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked from holding more than 15 rounds is hereby advised that he or she may retain possession of that ammunition magazine until the effective date of this amendment, that is, the date the notice of its adoption by the Division of State Police is published by the Office of Administrative Law in the New Jersey Register, see N.J.A.C. 1:30-6.6. During this time period, a person who owns or possesses an ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked from holding more than 15 rounds shall either: (1) transfer such ammunition magazine to any person or firm lawfully entitled to own or possess a large capacity ammunition magazine; (2) render such ammunition magazine permanently incapable of holding more than 15 rounds; or (3) voluntarily surrender the ammunition magazine pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-12. After the effective date of this amendment, a person who owns or possesses an ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked from holding more than 15 rounds shall voluntarily surrender the ammunition magazine pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-12 or risk prosecution for unlawful possession of a large capacity magazine pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(j).

http://www.evannappen.com/lawupdate1gunbook/ scroll down a bit and look for Jun 28 2002 entry. Upon receiving a large number of letters about the subject that particular issue was shelved and the old rules readopted. I do repeat that I have no idea what would stand in court, I'm just saying that that particular document never came to be in relation with the magazine capacity.

COMMENT: All of the above commenters expressed opposition to the proposed

amendment which would clarify the definition of "large capacity ammunition

magazine" in N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2. See 34 N.J.R. 217.

RESPONSE: The Superintendent and the Attorney General (with respect to 

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.15) have decided to readopt the existing rules. The

proposed amendments are still pending and comments on those amendments will be

addressed in a future notice.

Not really trying to start a fight or anything and the law is confusing on the subject.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been shooting IDPA for a while but am starting to get an itch to shoot USPSA. I guess one of these months I'll drag myself to Old Bridge for a match.

I do have a question though. Because of the mag capacity restrictions here in NJ are there any guys that shoot open in out of state matches and what do they do with their mags? I am assuming most guys shoot limited, L10, and production.

Another option if you are using mags with removable basepads is to just remove the basepad until you are at the range. That is what I have been doing for a while now.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved to Old Bridge and haven't had a chance to shoot in one of their club matches yet, but I did get to RO at one a couple of months back, and they really put on an excellent match! If you are remotely in the area, you owe it to yourself to come over and shoot at the Old Bridge club. The monthly matches are almost the equal of many area matches- very well designed and thought out.

I just moved to Old Bridge and haven't had a chance to shoot in one of their club matches yet, but I did get to RO at one a couple of months back, and they really put on an excellent match!  If you are remotely in the area, you owe it to yourself to come over and shoot at the Old Bridge club.  The monthly matches are almost the equal of many area matches- very well designed and thought out.

Old Bridge is shooting this Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

If you would like info on our matches just go to:

OBCATS Website

We usually post all our stage designs in pdf here as well as match results.

Upcoming special matches:

2005-Tactical Challange-2 days and 11-12 stages!!

Dec 2005-Specail classifier match 4 stages only-at our indoor range (OB doesnt do an outdoor in Dec due to close proximity to xmas)

Early 2006-Pocket gun match-G26's, PPK's etc....we even have a shoot what you brought class-so you can do a S&W model 29 if you wanna!!!!

Dave M.

OBRPC USPSA Match Dir.

NROI RO

NRA Instructor

Oh, bye the bye,

we just did two really great long gun matches:

Both were done with USPSA rules this year! (Mission Count a good thing!!)

Thanks to Mike Voigt's interest in 3-gun and some help from USPSA 3-Gunners we gota a set of rules that I can work with-Hell, maybe I can even persaude Jim (Norman) to work with them too!! (HEEHEEHEE)

(Jim's co-match director)

Crusher commented above about the Hollow Point law in NJ.....

Anyone is allowed to own, possess, and shoot hollow points in NJ.

It becomes illegal to commit a crime while in possession of hollow points.

You can view the Attorney Generals ruling on this subject at:

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html