Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 40 Disadvantage?

Jasonub

i was thinking of making my limited gun into a 40 open since i already have dies, brass, mags etc.

it seems the cheapest way going into open.

but like everyone here, i want it to be competitive. i place quite well in our country in limited and would like to try more speeeeeed! :)

"How many remember the 9x25"

This is exactly where I started shooting .40 open. I was shooting 9x25, and .40 in Limited. Same mags used in both guns. I got tired of picking up my 9x25 brass and keeping it seperate from the other 9x25 that was on the ground. (Because of the shoulder head spacing, it was mandatory to use only your brass, otherwise someone elses short chambered case would seperate in your chamber.) Anyway, I figured I would give the .40 a try. Same mags, different barrel, and away you go. It worked great from the start, and I never looked back. When the 125g frangible bullets came along, I started calling it like it felt, "a 40 super". Performed every bit like any other open gun. Plus, cost of brass was an incredible difference from 10mm, and I didn't have to worry about picking it up if I did have to. Cost of bullets is the only reason I left it for the 9x19, (and of coarse round count went from 26 to 29) and still there is the benifit of cheap brass. The 40 is a great way to go for open, especially if you shoot the same caliber in another division. I had the same tool head in my 650 for both guns. Same primers, brass and OAL. Just change the powder dump for a different powder and charge, and bullet weight. Simple.

The 40 is a great way to go for open, especially if you shoot the same caliber in another division. I had the same tool head in my 650 for both guns. Same primers, brass and OAL. Just change the powder dump for a different powder and charge, and bullet weight. Simple.

I love that I can load limited and Open and only have to change the amount of powder that I use. Makes it so simple. Like Beven said, same OAL, same brass, primers, even use the same powder. No problems.

Flyin40

The 40 is a great way to go for open, especially if you shoot the same caliber in another division. I had the same tool head in my 650 for both guns. Same primers, brass and OAL. Just change the powder dump for a different powder and charge, and bullet weight. Simple.

I love that I can load limited and Open and only have to change the amount of powder that I use. Makes it so simple. Like Beven said, same OAL, same brass, primers, even use the same powder. No problems.

Flyin40

thanks a lot. i can only get 155 grains in this part of the globe. will this bullet head generate enough ommmpph for the comp to work?

thanks again

I shoot my lim 40 in open class every once in a while! :P Just requires a little more visual patience. <_< It even gets a few open comments :blink::ph34r::lol: I just tell em' to keep laughing and wait for the results :D as they may be disadvantaged! Imagine if the 170 rule was reduced to 140 or visa versa....the playing field my be somewhat a little flatter...hmmmm <_<