Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximum Oal For Glock 23?

Cuz

I searched the forum and only found one reference dating back to 2003 so I'm asking.

Can anyone give me a starting point on the maximum oal for the Glock model 23? A friend of mine has one and I expect to be doing a good deal of shooting with it so I'd like to make up a load (Minor) that will function in his new Glock 23 and my Para P16-40. I don't want to be bringing two different loads using the same bullet to the range. I'm using Montana Gold 180 gr JHP and TiteGroup powder. I couldn't get the magazine loaded with some rounds loaded to 1.160 so I know that's too long. Since I no longer have the mag or gun handy I'm hoping you guys can help. I'd like to go as long as possible, but all input is appreciated. Thanks,

-Cuz

I was thinking of using between 4.0 - 4.2 grains of TG powder but if anyone thinks that's a problem please chime in.

1.160 is near reported max for the glock mags.

I'd go with 1.450 OAL. You have the Para, right? See if those will cycle in the Para at that length.

Since you don't need to make Major, 3.8-4.0 of TG ought to be plenty.

1.160 is near reported max for the glock mags. 

I'd go with 1.450 OAL.  You have the Para, right?  See if those will cycle in the Para at that length.

Since you don't need to make Major, 3.8-4.0 of TG ought to be plenty.

Flexmoney,

Thanks for the input. I've been reading so much about extending the length to increase reliability in the Para P16 but so far I've had excellent results with any length I've shot. That's what has me thinking about shortening the oal and coming up with a Minor load that will work in the Glock too. No sense having seperate loads for each if it's not necessary. At least not until my shooting improves to the point where I want to enter matches that use a Chrono anyway.

I'll try some 4.0 gr of TG at 1.450 to start. If I like them in the Para I'll try them in the Glock.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I run 3.7 VV behind a .40cal MG 180gr JHP for a power factor of 134-136 from a 2011 for minor. OAL is 1.18 which may be a tad long for the glock, shrink it a bit (1.135-.145) and it should be fine MF load. With TG you cloud probably drop to 3.4-3.5 gr it's a lil fastr than VV

1.1450 oal is as long as i can load them and they be reliable...anylonger and the mags choke..

unless you use 10 round mags then you can go slightly longer...but its not really worth it..

4.0 grains and the 180 grain MG bullet is really accurate and easy to shoot in my glock...too bad it doesnt make major.

it takes 4.3 grains to get 173 powerfactor...measured at the arkansas section match.

Thanks for all the input. The 1.145 oal worked fine in the Glock, but for some reason they weren't as accurate as the longer oal's in the Para. Could just be me rather than the oal. In any case I had some longer ones and everytime I used those I got tighter groups. I'm giving up on the idea of loading for both and and going back to longer oal for my Para. Maybe I'll just load up a batch for the Glock and set them aside for when my friend plans to bring the Glock.

-Cuz.