Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acceptable OAL variance

GIO

• 2 weeks later...

Is your Glock 17 a Gen 5? I heard (read) that the new Gen 5s don't have quit as long of a chamber as previous generation Glocks. My G 17 Gen 3 will take rounds as long as 1.165. The limiting factor is usually the magazines. You can run into trouble going out past 1.150 with the mags. Glocks usually do ok with pretty sloppy bullets. "Removing the bell"  too much ( less than 0.377) and you are surely over crimping coated bullets. I advise most new reloaders to stick with FMJ or CMJ untill they master the "removing the bell" part. My G17 can feed bullets with a bell diameter up to .383 with zero issues. Use you barrel to determine what bell diameter your gun can function with. If your gun has a tight chamber, coated bullets might not be the best option for you.  You also may need to increase the flare to stop the coating from being scraped off during bullet seating, with coated bullets. FMJ and CMJ bullets are much more forgiving of a tight flare. Use the EGW U-Die to provide a solid amount of case neck tension and insurance against bullet setback. Live and learn.

Edited by Red Ryder

On 14/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, stick said:

1.127 Seems awfully short for a G17.  I need to test my G17 (I hardly ever shoot it).  I've loaded 1.145 on my G34.

consensus  for  G17-G34    is  1.130  .

1.145  is  considered  quite long  given the  fact  that 1.169  is  the max  AOL  specified  for  the  9mm round.

Edited by sigsauerfan

4 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

consensus  for  G17-G34    is  1.130  .

1.145  is  considered  quite long  given the  fact  that 1.169  is  the max  AOL  specified  for  the  9mm round.

Consensus is you should always check with a push test and find your own OAL. Take the new Gen 5 for example, your "consensus" 1.13 might not pass a plunk test.

Edited by 4n2t0

5 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Consensus is you should always check with a push test and find your own OAL. Take the new Gen 5 for example, your "consensus" 1.13 might not pass a plunk test.

the  marksman barrel is  excluded  of  the conversation.

the  ideal  AOL's  for  the  glock  polygonal  barrel  whatever  the  caliber  are  well known since moons  and moons.  glock barrels (polygonal rifflings and  chambers )   haven't changed  since 4  generation of  guns.  the  marksman barrels  are  brand  new on the  market,  so  far  only  the G17  gen 5  is  on the market  right now.  so obviously  we're  talking about  subsequent  productions which  means the polygonal  barrel.

<

...and  no,   gen 2-3-4 chamber's  specs  haven't  changed  too  along the past   couple  decades ,  and then   won't show  such  variations  from gun to gun   that you  absolutely  need  to  run a plunk test ( unless the use  of  different bullet profiles))

Edited by sigsauerfan

3 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

the  marksman barrel is  excluded  of  the conversation.

the  ideal  AOL's  for  the  glock  polygonal  barrel  whatever  the  caliber  are  well known since moons  and moons.  glock barrels (polygonal rifflings and  chambers )   haven't changed  since 4  generation of  guns.  the  marksman barrels  are  brand  new on the  market,  so  far  only  the G17  gen 5  is  on the market  right now.  so obviously  we're  talking about  subsequent  productions which  means the polygonal  barrel.

<

...and  no,   gen 2-3-4 chamber's  specs  haven't  changed  too  along the past   couple  decades ,  and then   won't show  such  variations  from gun to gun   that you  absolutely  need  to  run a plunk test ( unless the use  of  different bullet profiles))

1) It's OAL, AOL was an internet service provider.

2) The OAL is projectile/barrel/magazine dependant not firearm specific.

3) You specifically mention the G17 and now state that since the only Gen 5 available is the G17 (which is also incorrect) that we're supposed to know which generation you were referencing?

4) What makes 1.13 better for a Glock than 1.09 or 1.10 or 1.12 etc.?

Edited by 4n2t0

pffft...ok

inform yourself. i  see  you  are  probably  new  here,and   into  glocks  as  well ,and to top   it , seems like  you  need  arguing for  arguing. not interesting for me  at all.

i'm just gonna add  that i'm shooting glocks in limited  since over 10  years, AND 10 years  ago  there was  a  strong  and  very knowledgeable community  on brian enos forum. not  saying  that it  has  drastically changed, but  you're  one  of  those  newbies  that seems  to like the confrontational  aspect of  the intraweb instead  of  using it  to  inform yourself.

have a nice  day.

edit:  given your  attitude  i  won't  even go  into details  to answer  your  question, but on the specific  matter  of  the ideal 1.130 coal  for  the  G17 gen 2-3-4  ,  ,i suggest  you  use  the  search function.  the  search  function works  very, very well on brian enos  forum. you'll find   the  numbers i  gave you in countless  posts  -threads.  i  give  you  a cue lol:   mags, chamber  depth, and the  barrel lands .....

Edited by sigsauerfan