Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In The "zone"

Flyin40

Hey Lanny - welcome aboard - listening to your tapes, reading your book, watching your video, and taking a seminar from you have helped my shooting more than any thing else once I learned the physical aspect of the game. I can't thank you enough!!

And yes, folks, in case you couldn't tell, I'm a huge Lanny fan. :D

He knows of what he speaks, folks.

Derrick

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lanny - welcome aboard - listening to your tapes, reading your book, watching your video, and taking a seminar from you have helped my shooting more than any thing else once I learned the physical aspect of the game.  I can't thank you enough!! 

And yes, folks, in case you couldn't tell, I'm a huge Lanny fan.  :D

He knows of what he speaks, folks. 

Derrick

Many thanks Derrick

WWIM,

Lanny

Thanks Lanny.

You are BLESSED by the Zone.

Truly!

I was looking through my saved Word docs, trying to find a description (I know I've posted somewhere before) of my first mind-altering zone experience, while practicing in 1981 for the Bianchi Cup. But instead found an old zone topic... so I pasted in here - since we're in the zone.

;)

The zone is a magical-like state characterized by precise, effortless activity, and appears when all forms of trying have ceased. Even subtle realms of will involve effort, and all types of effort prevent the appearance of the zone.

We’re left with the paradoxical question – how do we get into the zone? I don’t believe we can get into the zone. The zone overtakes us, when the conditions are favorable for "it" to occur. So we can’t talk about entering the zone, we can only talk about what prevents the zone from overtaking us.

If I say that any form of effort obscures the zone, and you wonder whether or not that’s true, your job becomes one of examining what is meant by “effort,” and how that relates to you.

Effort implies struggle, and struggle indicates a lack of complete understanding. When we are uncertain, there’s doubt, and when there’s doubt, we try. Although we’re not normally aware of when we are uncertain, trying is doubts constant companion, and, trying is mentally oberservable.

So at all times while dry-firing, practicing, or before shooting a stage in a match, examine your mind for trying. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to get a fast draw, not drop too many points, call your shots, shoot A’s, or not shoot yourself or the range officer? ;) All those indicate uncertainty, do they not?

But it’s impossible just to not try. So you must replace trying with doing, which comes from knowing. But you won’t do that until you’ve examined sufficiently, thought about things sufficiently, practiced sufficiently, turned over every stone and looked in every nook and cranny for traces of doubt, uncertainty, and trying.

You must study your draw until you have no doubts about it.

What are the quickest, most consistent and efficient movements required to produce perfectly aligned sights, every time? Do the same with the mag change. Just understanding these two activities may take years of work.

Down to the fundamentals: You must know where each shot went at the instant if fired. As a shooter, that is the most important thing you will ever do. (And I heard Robbie say that once to a student, totally unsolicited. So it must be true. ;) If you are not absolutely without doubt about that statement, you need to keep training and investigating until you are. How and what do you need to see in order to always be certain of each shot? (“Shot certainty” has nothing to do with whether or not it was a good or bad shot.) And it’s not just “what” you need to see, because what you see visually is not unrelated to your mental state, right? If you’re rushing, not only are you uncertain about what you should be doing, but you’re probably not going to see or hit much.

Examine how the activities of practicing and competing relate, and how they don’t relate. There are many things you can train in practice, which demand duplication in competition. In an IPSC match, however, how do you know what will be the fastest, most consistent way for you to shoot the stage? Not being uncertain may take years of experience. And not just experience in matches, but experience in all levels of matches. What doubts lurk at the Nationals but not at your home club?

In all realms, study and train until you replace doubt with certainty. Then when the going gets tough, stay true, and the zone may overtake you. (If it’s in the mood.)

;)

be

Hey Sniper !!!!

Good shooting at Nationals, too bad I did not get to root for you in person, as I was there for the first half.

Keep up the good work, It is paying off !!!!

Hop

Yeah, I'm sure Lanny's book doesn't hurt either !!!!(good book btw)

I got With Winning in Mind Friday, and am most of the way through it. All I can say is - man, I wish I'd known about it in my earlier (competitive) years - it would have saved me a lot time.

Thanks Lanny.

be

Lanny,

I've learned alot already from your posts...a question though i hope u don't mind. i've experienced a so called "autopilot" that when the buzzer of the timer sounds i just go into somewhat of a trance and after the last command of the RO it seems that everything just comes back to reality. should this be normal ? is this because of the mental prep a shooter does when he steps on the line or simply just allowing the mind to take over the body subconsciously?

i don't really know if that made sense..i think i was in the "autopilot mode" ;) thank you sir.

Regards,

JJ

Lanny,

Is this because of the mental prep a shooter does when he steps on the line or simply just allowing the mind to take over the body subconsciously?

If you prepare the mind properly before beginning to shoot things should become subconscious. Autopilot as you are calling it is how it seems to you.

WWIM,

Lanny

Lanny,

Is this because of the mental prep a shooter does when he steps on the line or simply just allowing the mind to take over the body subconsciously?

If you prepare the mind properly before beginning to shoot things should become subconscious. Autopilot as you are calling it is how it seems to you.

WWIM,

Lanny

This is how I define the zone. The things you do to prepare yourself for the event. Meaning weeks, months or even yrs.

I think some people define the zone as a feeling of confidence that you only feel once a while when you can't do anything wrong or can't miss. You just know in your mind you will suceed. I agree this type of mental state only happen once in awhile. My guess would be it comes from exceptional focusing on that particular day. Not neccessarily telling yourself you going to focus but just the days events, your attitude and outlook on that particular day. Everything just falls into place mentally without your even realizing it. It just happens. You don't even realize you were there sometimes until its over.

Flyin40

Interesting on the prep portion. Does that mean newbies never experience being in the zone? Or, is it that the concious mind of the newbie is just too busy processing all the inputs that the experience never really leaves any room for being in the zone...?

I agree this type of mental state only happen once in awhile.  My guess would be it comes from exceptional focusing on that particular day.  Not neccessarily telling yourself you going to focus but just the days events, your attitude and outlook on that particular day.  Everything just falls into place mentally without your even realizing it.  It just happens.  You don't even realize you were there sometimes until its over.

Flyin40

Interesting on the prep portion.  Does that mean newbies never experience being in the zone?  Or, is it that the concious mind of the newbie is just too busy processing all the inputs that the experience never really leaves any room for being in the zone...?

Anyone can get into the zone. Its relative to that particular person. Your zone maybe alot more focused than mine or vice versa. I think it has to do more with the indivual and the life experiences and the outlook they have. A newb could start shooting but have the mindset of a grandmaster. Someone who has never shot IPSC could walk in one day apply themself to the sport and in a short time surpass indiviuals to have been shooting the sport for yrs. Ability comes into play but I think the mindset is much more important.

I still feel for me the zone is preparation. Constistency is key in the sport, something I have been working on. I still have alot of work to do but proper preparation and practice makes it almost like your on autopilot. I find for myself that a key word or phrase just prior to shooting places me in a state or mind that allows everything else fall into place. I try to find that one thing that makes the whole stage go smoothly.

"Relax", "See the Dot", "Be Smooth", "Shoot A's" are some that I have tried just prior to shooting. I found that Shoot A's doesn't work well, it makes my mind work and think to much. See the dot is most effective for me. All I try to do is place myself in a state of mind that I'm relaxed, not tense, not rushing at the beginning of the stage. Once the buzzer goes off I'm on autopilot. I don't say "See the Dot" as I'm shooting and going to each target. Mistakes takes me out of my Zone and off autopilot because now I"m thinking in my head how to correct the mistake. This is something I have been working on.

I also wanted to add that confidence plays a huge role in my zone. The more I practice and prep the more comfortable I am. Its more about looking at a stage and saying to yourself, I got this figured out, Easy stage, No problem. The more I learn about my ability in certain situations or types of shots(around corners, through ports) the more confidence I have in making those shots. The more confidence I have the less I have to "think" about making certain kind of shots.

I had to go through a learning curve with Flex and SA having to do with a activator, drop turner and popper. I always shot the activator, waited on the drop turner and then the popper. That match I shot the activator, then popper and then drop turner. I gained confidence in my abitly to shoot that array. Now when I encounter an array I "just shoot it" and don't think about it because I know I can.

Mental Coach any thoughts????

Flyin40

• 1 month later...

Lanny, another fan is checking in. I listened to you speak to an auditorium at West Point in 1982 or 1983, bought the tapes from that session, and still have them.

I have played High Power off and on, and loved what it did for me in that game where the thinking in words and running mental programs works pretty well. But for some reason, I was still working with words, and I never got into The Zone or even to the point where the subconcious was doing everything. Maybe that is because High Power really is slow paced and there is just too much time for the mind to go looking for other stuff.

My mind likes to be fully occupied. Sailboat racing when the wind is UP and snowboarding on deep stuff appeal do that. Maybe adrenaline figures into it too. And I figured out that High Power is just not much fun for me...

And then I started playing these practical pistol games, read Brian's book (twice now, and thinking about a third time) and I am finally figuring out that the mental program does not involve words or concious thought at all once I hear "Stand by..". Hmm, I wished that I had that insightful realization years ago. High Power might have been a lot more fun.

I have only gotten fully into The Zone a couple of times, both were recent practice sessions, and it faded fast. But I learned stuff from it. And it helped me trust my subconscious mind in doing many of the little things that have to happen. And it helped me drop words out of my thinking and go with movement or actions. That is my BIG WOW, so now I think that I had better listen to those tapes from long ago, and read With Winning in Mind again. I wonder what I will find when I do that?

Billski

I had a pretty good match today, I had a not so good match a week ago, my abilities haven't changed in the six days in between (i dryfired briefly once, livefired none during that time). But the biggest difference was how I approached the match. I did so without expectation about how I'd finish, only a desire to do my best, to execute to the best of my ability.

On each stage I came up with a plan, walked through each part of the plan, then walked through the plan as a whole. Then spent a few minutes sitting by myself mentally walking through the plan. Then when I LAMR I took a sight picture of any difficult shots, after gassing up the gun I took a few moments to clear my head, rid myself of expectations and tell my mind to be open to inputs and allow myself to execute with the skills I know I have.

The result was a very comfortable zone where I could execute without undue pressure, my first stage win, and a second place finish overall.

Proof positive that this forum has helped me once again.

I had a pretty good match today, I had a not so good match a week ago, my abilities haven't changed in the six days in between (i dryfired briefly once, livefired none during that time).  But the biggest difference was how I approached the match.  I did so without expectation about how I'd finish, only a desire to do my best, to execute to the best of my ability.

On each stage I came up with a plan, walked through each part of the plan, then walked through the plan as a whole.  Then spent a few minutes sitting by myself mentally walking through the plan.  Then when I LAMR I took a sight picture of any difficult shots, after gassing up the gun I took a few moments to clear my head, rid myself of expectations and tell my mind to be open to inputs and allow myself to execute with the skills I know I have.

The result was a very comfortable zone where I could execute without undue pressure, my first stage win, and a second place finish overall.

Proof positive that this forum has helped me once again.

Great post, basically this is how I view the zone and how to get there. Some people view the zone as a place where everything goes right for you, you can't miss or do anything wrong. I think is just a more focused state of mind and confidence plays a big part of it. Though I have been there its not realistic to think you can be there every single time at a match. I strive more for a balance to make me feel smooth and comfortable when I shoot.

Flyin40

I believe that people experence the Zone more often than they think they do. But, we only remember the experience when it lasts a while. When we Zone out for very short periods of time we do not realize that we have had the benefit of the Zone. In my experience as a coach beginners can Zone-Out but it occurrs more often with skilled shooters.

Lanny, another fan is checking in. I listened to you speak to an auditorium at West Point in 1982 or 1983, bought the tapes from that session, and still have them.

WOW! That was a long time ago. I love High Power and anything that kicks more than a .22. Reading the wind and mirage is what keeps full-bore shooting interesting to me. No doubt you can Zone-Out in long range shooting. I had a good bit of Zone expeience when I won 15 medals in the 1974 World Shooting Championships. A lot of those were in 300 meter events.

For everyone following the Zone discussion, I have just submitted an article to Clay Shooting USA on the Zone. Your comments have been most helpful. If you will send me an email requesting a pdf copy and put ZONE ARTICLE in the subject I will have my staff send you one. Enjoy.

Request it at info@mentalmanagement.com

This is a great thread! I look forward to getting and reading mental coache's book as well as his threads.

From the world outside of shooting or sports, the zone is part of what some describe as rapid cognition which is the ability of the mind to process information and execute without consious thought. While we, including myself as a newbie shooter, are all capable of this, the key to successful rapid cognition in any context is expertise. The reason for this is expertise reduces the amount of information that the conscious brain needs to process in order to achieve a desired result under stress or speed. The best shooters have their bodies finely tuned so they are not thinking about stance, grip, sight picture, or even how to get from one spot to another. After years of training, practice, and of course skill, the top shooters like our host are able to reduce all of the variables and information that the brain needs to process down to what they want to hit. As such while newbies can get into a zone, they are not as likely to perform as well because we still have too much going on in our heads even if we do not realize it. Under those circumstances zoning out is more appropriate because something important like seeing the sights actually gets missed in the process.

For a really accessible take on this in other contexts with some really funny and sometimes shocking examples check out Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. He is a journalist (ie. easy to read) who put together a book covering the current state of scientific research on the subject.