Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pushing the envelope of rifle splits

adamge

Here's a query a buddy (with a much faster trigger finger than I) wrote up:

Question of the day!

The video is some of my rifle work from this season. It has undoubtedly helped to set me apart from the rest of the pack. A combination of speed and accuracy will triumph. Fast splits and good transitions are great but still get your hits.

*Here's the question gunnies. Is a rifle length gas system on a 18" barrel capable of .010-.012 splits? 
I read that "longer gas-system lengths reduce felt recoil, muzzle climb, heat in the action, fouling, bolt-carrier speeds, DMV wait times, ozone levels, bad cholesterol and premature hair loss".
This may all be true, but what about an increase in operation times. 
I've had folks tell me you will never outshoot your rifle or pistol. That full auto is .008! If that's the case then can you run full auto on a rifle length gas system1f609.png?.

Let me know your thoughts. The past can help dictate the future, and the future seems to get faster and faster.

FYI. All this is Links Ammo Supply Inc

Tuna

Video of Tuna shooting rifle:

I think this guy uses rifle length gas systems. He can go about .19. An A4 supposedly does 700rds/m in full auto for .086. with rifle length gas. If you perfectly timed your trigger you should be able to get there. The tough part may be the perfect timing.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:15 AM, Chip3 said:

I think this guy uses rifle length gas systems. He can go about .19. An A4 supposedly does 700rds/m in full auto for .086. with rifle length gas. If you perfectly timed your trigger you should be able to get there. The tough part may be the perfect timing.

If you watch that video, 5 shots in under a sec (which I think is where .19 came from) includes his reaction time, so his splits were much quicker.  Even so, around .10 is about the fastest I hear of people achieving.

OP, I would not be concerned about outrunning your system.  You have a very fast trigger finger (that is an impressive video), however I seriously doubt you’ll ever outrun your bolt.  I know Pat Kelley has outrun shotguns, but I’ve never heard of anybody outrunning an AR.

59 minutes ago, P.E. Kelley said:

Hmmm let's see about that with a 308!!!

Speak of the devil and he shall appear!  I remember this video, forgot there was a .10 in there.  Sigh, I feel so inadequate.  I’m capable of those splits, but I’da had 3 no-shoots and a mike.  But anyway, it’s confirmed:  It is absolutely impossible to outrun an AR, even in .308!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 10:03 AM, PaladinPrecision said:

Is it possible? I am sure some exceptional soul could outrun an ar... But the majority of the world probably can't. I think one of the fastest splits I have seen on the clock is about 0.10 on a semi. 

I my video above with the 308...a 0.10 is captured.  Not an oddity for me, but not something I work to achieve.

As far as outrunning...probably not going to happen.  Figure that a 0.10 split is = 600 rounds per minute and the  AR15 is capable of much

a faster cycling rate.  Depending on buffer/spring weight and rates and such the AR can run past 1,000 rounds per minute..that

would require a human to trip the trigger at 0.06.

22 rimfire AR's are not the same for cyclic speed and can be outrun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 8:01 PM, PaladinPrecision said:

What is your fastest split ever with an Ar platform 223 ?

Fastest that I have SEEN on the clock is a 0.10

I think I have been a hair under at a match. You know...when you mess up and try to play "catch up!"