Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS gii BCG stuck in battery

Bsbllrooster

I have a gii hunter that I use for PRS stuff as well as my hunting rifle. I have a hunt coming up first weekend of November so I went out to confirm my zero and some offhand shooting practice. That’s when I started having some issues.

The first signs of any issues is I was starting to get light primer strikes and when attempting to eject the unfired round I had to slam the buttstock on the ground while holding the charging handle.

I then proceeded to try and take down the rifle to see what was going on but since it is difficult to do the above mentioned maneuver while you have the gun split it took some serious effort to get the bcg out of the upper.

Once I had the BCG out, I pulled the firing pin retaining pin but the firing pin wouldn’t come out. Had to pull it out with pliers. Once out a bunch of metal debris came out with it and the tip of the firing pin looks pretty mangled. I then pulled the bolt out of the BCG and found some more metal debris in the firing pin channel. I cleaned everything real well and tried to insert the BCG minus the FP back in the gun but it still gets hung up when it gets into battery. I tried the bolt carrier alone without the bolt and it seems to go in fine. When I put the bolt into the BCG without the cam pin it seems to go in and out of battery just fine as well. When I put the bolt and cam pin but no firing pin back into the BCG it gets jammed up.

Anyone have any thoughts. I checked the chamber and barrel extension for debris but can’t find any and there doesn’t seem to be any abnormal wear on the bolt or lugs. Anyone have any thoughts on what’s up. I need to get this rifle back up and running before my hunt.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remove the bolt and look into the cavity where the bolt rides.  I had a 308 that got sticky like that and had beau coup carbon build up in there.  cam pin was nasty too.

I don't know about the mangled FP and metal shavings.

for sure new FP.  lots of lube.

Primers all seem to be ok. I shoot 168 gr FGMM and 180 gr federal premium ballistic tip ammo. No reloads through the rifle yet. Probably only has about 400-500 rounds through it. The metal debris definitely doesn’t look like pieces of primer. It almost looks like really course metal blasting media. 87cc82c96b89fd78f76f47d2eefdd365.jpg56273429e278501338510ddc9031b404.jpg

2 hours ago, Bsbllrooster said:

Primers all seem to be ok. I shoot 168 gr FGMM and 180 gr federal premium ballistic tip ammo. No reloads through the rifle yet. Probably only has about 400-500 rounds through it. The metal debris definitely doesn’t look like pieces of primer. It almost looks like really course metal blasting media. 87cc82c96b89fd78f76f47d2eefdd365.jpg56273429e278501338510ddc9031b404.jpg

I can see from your pictures that you definitely have a firing pin issue.  The particles in the picture of the metal pieces look like pieces of primer anvil and cup.  Without closer inspection I can only suggest a couple of causes.

One is that the tip fractured and enough remained to allow for primer ignition.  Since the tip was jagged and did not fully come into contact with the cup, the resulting pressure inside the case blew the primer parts through the firing pin hole in the bolt face and into the channel.  You need to inspect your fired cases to see if ther spent primers are intact.

Number two is that you had an existing chamber pressure problem or a long nosed firing pin that was causing pierced primers  Eventually the pierced primers let enough gas through and it cut the firing pin tip down along with the opening in the bolt face allowing for the primer debris to get past.

Get hold of a replacement firing pin and make sure that the bolt face has not been burned through.

When checking to see if the bcg moves freely in the upper, you need to have the fp  installed.  If you install the cam pin and do not have the fp installed, it can rotate and hang up in the upper.  The cam pin must be aligned properly so the corners will clear when the bcg moves beyond the cam pin relief area in the upper receiver.

These are only 2 possibilities.  I hope this helps.

Kuan

Agreed with Kuan, that definitely looks like pieces of primer. Your firing pin definitely borked although whether that is a cause or a result of the issue is hard to tell. Federal GMM is not loaded close to what you'd need to do that to a primer. Did you save your brass so you can post pictures of the fired primers and can you post pictures? 

1 hour ago, Bsbllrooster said:

Looking at my brass I would say about 70% are fine and about 30% have cratered primers.

"Cratered" or pierced...

The concern that most are expressing is that you have primers that are being punctured/pierced by funky firing pin and/or pressure...

That would explain the bits of material you've found.