Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to start? New to rifle.

crispyrice

Hey Guys. I have gotten lots of great advice on this forum and have another question. I got my first rife which will double as my work gun/3 gun( when I eventually try it). I have zero experience in shooting a rifle and have no clue where to start. I'm all for taking a good class but cannot find a LEO class that starts soon, soonest around 6 months away. I am able to go through my departments carbine cert course but it is all seniority based and new classes are rarely held, 2-4 times a year. Now I have done my research on the simple stuff like zeroing,cleaning,maintenance etc. But where I fall short is finding a good source for proper form and good dry fire exercises. Are there any good resource like this site or any good books that focus on rifles, kinda like Stoeger's books? Any and all help is appreciated. 

Its not oriented toward the game, but this is a good one. Lots of information up front about the rifle and then training info and driills

Green eyes and black rifles by Kyle Lamb: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Eyes-Black-Rifles-Warriors/dp/0615166547

A lot of what you read here about rifles is stuff nobody would recommend for a duty rifle (adjustable gas, triggers, low mass xyz, etc etc). BUT shooting is shooting

47 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Its not oriented toward the game, but this is a good one. Lots of information up front about the rifle and then training info and driills

Green eyes and black rifles by Kyle Lamb: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Eyes-Black-Rifles-Warriors/dp/0615166547

A lot of what you read here about rifles is stuff nobody would recommend for a duty rifle (adjustable gas, triggers, low mass xyz, etc etc). BUT shooting is shooting

Thanks for the suggestion. I realize that this isn't the best practical for duty use. But there is enough good people on here that can point in the right direction. I would rather not wait months to shoot this or shoot and learn bad habits.

Jerry M. has some great rifle drills that help you get a good feel for rifle transitions and cadence, the "V drill" is one that I have used a fair bit. Add a couple pieces of steel at distances from 50 to 150yds and alternate between them. Shoot the steel offhand, transition to the "v-drill" setup, and then go back and hit the steel again from another position. Rifle is about learning how fast you can go up close and still get your hits and how long you need to spend at longer distances to get hits. Just shooting paper at various distances will teach you a great deal about sight offset and trajectory and such.

• 5 weeks later...

there's no substitute for good instruction, find a good reputable instructor near you and put money into training and ammo, the aforementioned resources will help you get a handle on basics in prep for a course, you can check out Primaryandsecondary.com for good vetted instruction near you.