Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any reason to not use magnum primer 40 minor

kujo929

Is there any reason to not use magnum in 40 minor. Only issues I’ve seen using magnum primers is people saying it can increase pressure slightly. Not really a concern when loading minor. Anything else I’m missing?

Fed magnum primers are easier to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used them, but they shouldn't create any over pressure.  Magnum (as I understand it) burn a bit longer and maybe a bit hotter to ensure a burn on the harder to light powders.   I have run small pistol, small rifle, small pistol magnum and with identical loadings they give the exact same velocity across the chrono. 

The one downside that may be there (or may not!  I've heard both ways), is that they could be harder cups and will take more of a whack to set off.  But, I've been told the Federal match magnum primers are still easy to set off.  Try them and see!

I use SRMP in 9mm and SP .45 ACP and noticed no meaningful difference in velocity from standard primers.  If changing to magnum primers in major loads I'd drop back slightly on the powder charge and work up to desired velocity again.

The below refers to small primers, in 9mm:

CCI magnum versus both S&B and Winchester standard primers? Same velocity results over a chrono. Same gun. Back to back. (Results were within 5 FPS so I consider that no statistic change, since the SD on that ammo is 6.)

I now use either CCI Mags or standard SP primers interchangeably in 125gr Minor ammo without any concern at all.

I don’t know if the CCI Magnums are in fact harder than standard CCI primers: by the time I set up my Tanfo to chew on CCIs, it was polished and the bolo stroked deeply enough it ate everything... and I sold the Tanfo, so I’m back to a factory-sprung striker gun which damn near punches holes through CCI Mags.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The below refers to small primers, in 9mm:

CCI magnum versus both S&B and Winchester standard primers? Same velocity results over a chrono. Same gun. Back to back. (Results were within 5 FPS so I consider that no statistic change, since the SD on that ammo is 6.)

I now use either CCI Mags or standard SP primers interchangeably in 125gr Minor ammo without any concern at all.

I don’t know if the CCI Magnums are in fact harder than standard CCI primers: by the time I set up my Tanfo to chew on CCIs, it was polished and the bolo stroked deeply enough it ate everything... and I sold the Tanfo, so I’m back to a factory-sprung striker gun which damn near punches holes through CCI Mags.

Memphis, how has your transition to plastic gone so far?

Switching back to what I shot for a decade (plastic striker guns as a group) went ten times easier than switching to DA/SA was.

On match day, well, we all show up with competitive Glocks and Tanfos and Walthers and 2011s. The winner is the one who puts the most work in. 

Shoot the gun you love the most: you’ll practice more with it, and that is what makes you improve.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Switching back to what I shot for a decade (plastic striker guns as a group) went ten times easier than switching to DA/SA was.

On match day, well, we all show up with competitive Glocks and Tanfos and Walthers and 2011s. The winner is the one who puts the most work in. 

Shoot the gun you love the most: you’ll practice more with it, and that is what makes you improve.

Oh I’m not changing. I enjoy training with the Tanfo and have more this year than ever since changing to metal gun. Favorite gun I’ve trained with. Was just curious how you liked the walther.