Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baby Glock

lndshrk

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Externally visible modifications other than grips or sights.

Have often thought of bringing my Baby Glock G26 along with my G34, just in case the G34 does not make it through the match, as a back-up gun. All of my mags however, have Pearce Grip attachments. As I read the rules, "other than grips" (see above), it almost looks like they would be O.K. Are they?

Weighted Magazine: Any magazine that weighs more than one

(1) ounce over the weight of a factory standard magazine for the

specific pistol in question. from page 82

If it is the replacement base plate that I am thinking of - you should be ok.

There is a conflict potential if you were to use the the mags from your 34 - since technically they aren't the "factory standard" for G26 and might weigh more than 1 oz. over the smaller mag - but in the grand world that is idpa , I don't think anyone would care.

my 2 cents.

Mark

Mark,

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Considering the very small size of the baby Glock, don't feel that it offers significant or any type of advantage, in fact, for IDPA, in the real world, the only way that I carry. But believe I would have to remove them for IDPA competition. (Not even sure if O.K. to use in un-official BUG Match).

Thanks!

The extended mags on the baby glocks have been legal. Provided that when installed in the gun, they fit in the box with the lid closed.

There is a prohibition for weighted mags that weigh 1oz more than a factory magazine, but as far as I know, they make the weight. And frankly, I'm not in a terrible hurry to get a scale for the mag.. Shooting a G26 in IDPA is not done by people trying to game out the equipment rules or violate the spirit of the game. Quite opposite in fact.

The pierce extension is no different than shooting a G17 mag in a G26, which is also legal.

Ted

Ted,

Do you know for a fact that they are legal or are you offering your opinion? I only ask because if they're legal I'd like to see some sort of official reasoning for it, an email from HQ, etc. that I can cite.

A related question: is it legal to shoot a sub-compact Glock with a full-size mag that has the magazine grip extender installed? (the type that 'fills in' the section of magazine below the frame)

As for competitive advantage, I see the point for standard divisions, but what about BUG? It's not a sanctioned division, but it's still in the rulebook and leaves the question open.

Frankly, without official word against it I'm going to allow them (we always have so far), even though it looks like a 'grey area'. When in doubt, we're letting them shoot.

Ted,

Do you know for a fact that they are legal or are you offering your opinion?  I only ask because if they're legal I'd like to see some sort of official reasoning for it, an email from HQ, etc. that I can cite.

They fit in the box, they are good to go. They have been used at the past 5 nationals I have so'ed with no problem from the management.

A related question: is it legal to shoot a sub-compact Glock with a full-size mag that has the magazine grip extender installed? (the type that 'fills in' the section of magazine below the frame)

Provided it fits in the box. You will see some guys shoot a G26 with a std mag in the gun and a G17 mag for a reload. It's their carry setup, so that's how they roll at matches.

My hands are too big for a G26, but they do seem nice.

As for competitive advantage, I see the point for standard divisions, but what about BUG?  It's not a sanctioned division, but it's still in the rulebook and leaves the question open.

TSA has it's inserts in their box for their BUG divisions. That is a neat idea.

I've not had anyone bring the extensions to a BUG match so it has not been an issue for me. I probably would draw the line on that, reasoning being that with a five round max, there is no need for an extended magazine beyond attaining a "competitive advantage" via the full length grip frame afforded by an extended magazine .

Problem with BUG I've found is that when you do a BUG match people find the ideal cheater gun so they can win, instead of the little poodle shoter they actually carry. Lots of Officer's models come out and so on. This is of course legal, but kind of annoying philosphically.

Other problem with IDPA's picture of BUG is it pretty much is if you look at the rulebook, BUG is supposed to be run as its own match with "no reloads on the clock" and so on. Problem is, most the guys who want to run BUG come to a regular IDPA match and want to shoot the match in BUG division. I accodomade this provided the holster they use is legal, but when there are multiple BUG shooters, the J frame guys get hosed. I wish there was a BUG-Revolver and BUG-Semi Auto for that reason. FWIW, when I shoot my j frame at matches I ususally just state "SSR" so not as to give the MD an extra division he has to print results out for.

Ted

They have been used at the past 5 nationals I have so'ed with no problem from the management.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

I probably would draw the line on that, reasoning being that with a five round max, there is no need for an extended magazine beyond attaining a "competitive advantage" via the full length grip frame afforded by an extended magazine .

How about just the 'pinky grip' extender, the version that has no capacity increase? This is what I think is the heart of the question: between two identical sub-glocks, the one with the Pearce pinky-shelf thingy has the advantage without question...

Well to be completely honest I doubt I'd notice the pinky extension on the baby glock.

Some people do carry the gun that way, so I don't see the harm there. I was thinking more of the larger extenson from a full size mag.

IMHO (and a bit off topic) if you can carry a G26 with a pinky extension on your belt. you most likely can carry a G19 just as easily so you might as well go with the bigger gun and get the advantages of sight radius,etc

I talked to Lane Pearce on the topic this morning. He pointed out that Glock has offered the Pearce grip extension as factory stock on G26s/G27s when filling some big agency orders. As a factory supplied option, thus the Pearce grip extension is perfectly legal under IDPA rules.