Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACME 147gr FP Starting Load Ramshot True Blue

SlvrDragon50

I've finally figured out my OAL issue (115gr RN just had the wrong ogive, couldn't fit in my S2 without loading real short) and got these ACME 147gr FP to work. I'm starting to look at powder loads, but Ramshot doesn't have any FPs, and of the 147gr bullets listed, I don't know the bullet lengths. So.. I am not sure how much I should lower my starting load by.

5Wc725c.png

My OAL is ~1.11, so I believe I should load lower with my shorter OAL, but I'm not sure by how much because I can't figure out how much space is in the cartridge in the load data. Anyone use this combination of bullets or a similar combination and can give me a safe starting point? Unfortunately I am unable to get a  chrono this weekend. 9mm minor out of a CZ Shadow 2.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

2 minutes ago, microham said:

If you look at the last load for the true blue there is a flat point listed. Try reducing the starting charge by 10-15% for the pressure change to start with.

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was safe to use that FP data. I've never heard of LC (Lasercast) bullets before and wasn't sure if the profile was that drastically different.

Will start at 3.6gr then!

22 hours ago, microham said:

If you look at the last load for the true blue there is a flat point listed. Try reducing the starting charge by 10-15% for the pressure change to start with.

Thanks for the tip.

I just shot my ladder from 3.6-4.0gr.

The 3.6 was incredibly light. I'm pretty sure it wasn't meeting power factor. Unfortunately I didn't have a chrono to confirm. That said, I was pretty comfortable with 3.7 and 3.8, I'll hopefully get a chrono next week to confirm.

I think I might just cough up the money and buy one. While I know my friends are willing to let me use theirs, it's kinda a pain to always plan trips with them if I want to develop a lot of loads.

That said, my rounds ran great today! Other than one with no primer..

Grab a ProChrono Digital: the Camry of the chrono world, its not too spendy and it always reads accurately. This was my third chronograph and probably all I'll ever own.

If you load, you need access to a chrono frequently. Period.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Grab a ProChrono Digital: the Camry of the chrono world, its not too spendy and it always reads accurately. This was my third chronograph and probably all I'll ever own.

+1

I like mine. I also picked up the Bluetooth accessory package which along with the associated app allows you to run the chrono from your cell phone.

A friend of mine who also liked his ProChrono Digital recently replaced it (after shooting it, lol) with a Caldwell and seems to think that the price/feature set ratio is similar; I think just a tad bit cheaper but they both seem good value for the money.

When comparing results his seemed to read about 10 fps faster than mine.

23 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Been trying to look at chronos, and there's so many out there. Price is very reasonable as well. Gonna get a used version from Amazon and put the leftover towards a tripod.