Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Call Me Ripvanwinkle

ZoomZoom

I use to shoot USPSA/steelo/pins/etc. back in the dark ages and stopped 15 years ago. My, things have changed. Back then the hot set up was a .38 super w/comp, Bomars, and a 10 [?] round mag!

I thinking of getting involved in shooting USPSA again and I'm trying to wade through and understand all the new equipment and classes. I think I want to shoot one of the open sight classes to get started again rather then go ga-ga with an open gun. I was thinking about an STI Edge. Comments? Advice?

I've been poking arounf enought to know they're popular. Are their any to be had used and where might I find one?

I assume that hi-capacity mags aren't such a problem now that the AWB has expired. Yes/no?

Thanks.

ZZ

[but I did find a nice Caspian .38 super open gun which might help hitting the darn targets with my ageing eyes.]

I was there for the dark ages myself. The STI looks like a plan to me. Hi caps are all over the place now too. You can be set up and ready to rock without having to wait months on a custom gun as we did on those old supers..

Welcome back!

Jump in middle of the road, STI Edge is a good way. I shoot a lighter gun, some shoot a heavier, but the standard, average gun is the Edge set up.

I would buy one and take it to a good local GS to get it slicked up. Tap in the front sight you want, (fibre optics in the .090 - .110 range seem most popular) play around with spring weights (11-14# seem most popular), trigger jobs and recoil systems. Bigass magwell (Dawson Ice and EGW seem to be the most popular). I'm a big fan of lapping slide to frame in LIGHTLY to give the gun that smoooooooth broken in feel.

No problem getting high caps, and you'll find loads of............ well, loads on here. (allow myself to introduce.....myself :rolleyes: ).

I shoot a kydex "carry" holster, but the average set up seems to be CR speed belt and holster.

Other than that, welcome back, ask anything. We're real friendly and think we know EVERYTHING!!!!

ZZ, welcome back and welcome to the forum. when looking for a used gun, dont overlook the SVIs, kinda a long story but basically same gun. Ask questions, somebody here knows(or at least thinks they do). Guns, gear, reloading, matches, its all here and yours for the asking.-----Larry