Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Station 1 locator loose?

Is this locator/guide supposed to be loose? Mine has substantial play in it. I keep getting tipped brass (1 side in the track, 1 out) or brass that miss the locator track completely. I'm loading 223. 

Edited by xdr

1 hour ago, xdr said:

Is this locator/guide supposed to be loose? Mine has substantial play in it. I keep getting tipped brass (1 side in the track, 1 out) or brass that miss the locator track completely. I'm loading 223. 

It should have grease under it to dampen movement.

OK, I added grease to the back 1/3 of the cavity (end away from the shell plate) but not in the front part of the cavity as it is significantly deeper. Should I add it there as well? I ran ~25 rounds through it and am still getting cases falling over (~6 out of 25). I noticed that none went in the locator tipped though. 

Yes, I did check that. The # on the locator matches the # on the shell plate (#3) which is what I believe Dillon calls out for 223. This is a press I ordered set up for 223 from BEnos ~6-7 months ago. I havent had a chance to use it much due to work travel overseas. 

The black plastic case inserter is set to rifle or the short end as you described. 

thanks for the inputs...

OK, I watched the video again. Cleaned all the grease from under the station 1 locator that I originally put in (black grease from a grease gun). Re-greased it with the red grease that came with the press (why didnt I think of that the first time??!!) lubed the case feed arm activator block and the guide rails under it. 

I still have some tipped brass and a few falling over as well...However, the frequency is reduced quite a bit. If I cant get it perfect soon, I will post a video of it in operation when the issue occurs and see if someone can spot whats happening. 

thanks!

3 hours ago, xdr said:

OK, I watched the video again. Cleaned all the grease from under the station 1 locator that I originally put in (black grease from a grease gun). Re-greased it with the red grease that came with the press (why didnt I think of that the first time??!!) lubed the case feed arm activator block and the guide rails under it. 

I still have some tipped brass and a few falling over as well...However, the frequency is reduced quite a bit. If I cant get it perfect soon, I will post a video of it in operation when the issue occurs and see if someone can spot whats happening. 

thanks!

Do you have the correct case feed adaptor installed? Are the cases falling freely, or possibly hanging up slightly and causing them to fall at an angle?

What do the spent primers look like in the cases? Are they perhaps blown out causing a weeble effect when cases drop?

6 hours ago, xdr said:

Hi Sarge,

I will check the case feed adaptor when I get home tonight. The primers are flat - that I am sure of. 

thanks

We'll keep chipping away at it until we figure it out. :)