Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Barrel To Use?

signal5

I am looking to build an ar-15 type rifle to use in 3-gun matches. I was wondering what would be the best dimensions for the barrel? By dimensions i mean length and thickness. Should i go with a 20, 18 or 16 inch? Should it be a bull barrel or medium weight barrel? What type of compensator would be best? I am planning to shoot in the tactical class and this will be the only purpose for the gun. Thanks in advance.

Frankly, the ideal barrel depends on what the courses of fire are that you anticipate, and where you stand on weight slowing your target transitions versus weight helping your repeat shot times. Since most of us want our rifle to do everthing well, the trend looks like it is to medium weight barrels...

Here in SE Michigan, all COF's are short with only a few shots out to 100 yards, and no poppers or flash targets are used. For that, you would want a 16" or 18" barrel. Red dot or 1x to 1.5x sights on a rail are just about perfect. The shorter barrel gives quicker handling as you negotiate COF and faster target-to-target transitions, but slows down your shot-to-shot and degrades your steadiness on long stuff.

If your COF's regularly have shots out to 300 m, a longer, heavier barrel is a distinct plus for steadiness, ability to hold, and wind drift (being a High Power shooter until recently, I can attest to the truth in all of this). A scope is helpful. 18" to 20" HBAR or heavier profile and scope to 5x or 6x is great for all this. The rifle will hold steadier and shoot better than a short pencil barrel, but it will be slower on target-to-target transitions.

My belief is that if you are going to build (and train with) one upper, let it do everything. Flat top reciever, medium contour 18" or 20" barrel from a good maker, plain free float handgaurd, brake, rail to extend the scope platform forward for eye relief and to allow emegency irons. This way it will give up little on 300 m plates and still be pretty quick handling on close-in stuff. Mine looks like this with a 1.5-5x 20mm scope. If you want to shave weight, go with a carbon lower or a light buttstock assembly and a carbon float tube.

So, how about that, you still pays your money and takes your choices...

Billski

We build our competition uppers with barrels that are 14.75, 16, 17, 18 and 20". The shorter ones are usually for guys who shoot matches where ranges are restricted to 100 yards or so and they have a lot of up close, fast stages. The longer ones tend to go to guys who wnat to shoot longer matches and also ranges beyond the typical 3-400 yard limit that 3-Gun matches typically have. 17" is by far the most popular barrel length we build for 3-gun as they handle easily for the short stuff and still have decent velocities for longer ranges. Our contours are all in the medium range.

If you are shooting USPSA 3-Gun matches or other matches which have a PF, make sure that your ammo makes Minor with the barrel. At the USPSA 3-Gun nationals, there are usually people who go 'sub-minor' because they were using short, i.e. 16" bbls with ammo that weren't making Minor out of them.

thanks for the replys. In the few matches i have shot some stages had flash target out to 200-250 yds. I think i will go with a medium weight ss barrrel in 18-20 in lenght depending on what i could find. Thanks for th input.

Bushmaster 1-9 twist fluted heavy barrel 20". Nice and light, accurate enough, not too costly and chrome lined so you can shoot the hell out of it! this would be for a match and practice rifle.

For a full on match rifle ...J.P. medium weight 20" in what ever twist you like, I just hate burning 300 rounds through these for just practice. The J.P. barrel I have is THE most accurate barrel I have ever had, so I save it just for the big matches! KURTM

What type of compensator would be best? 

Probably the best ones on the market are the Miculek and the JP comp. I haven't had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison, but I have a feeling that the JP may be slightly better. I run the Miculek comp and like the way it shoots.

A friend has what he believes is an old Krebs comp on his AR, and it pushes the muzzle down each shot. Very difficult to get used to.

I'm with kurtm on the 20 incher. It doesn't give up anything to anything on anything and it still has all the velocity a .223 is supposed to have. I like V.

1:9 is a good all-round choice for twist. 1:8 is also an option if you think you may want to play around with the heavy projectiles but still want to be able to shoot 55's. If you get into a 1:8 bbl, you might as well make it a full length one too IMHO.

JP, Bennie Hill, Miculek, F2 are all effective comps. If you get the JP bbl, get the JP brake, any other bbl, go with one of the other brakes.

--

Regards,

Why not have two uppers with different barrel lengths? Several of the 3gunners in my area do that. They have an 18 for the 100yd stuff common here, and a 20 for the longer range matches.