Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Mag 9mm magwell block Re-Designed for 2017

I just spoke with a rep at Pro Mag and confirmed, they discontinued production last year, and brought fabrication in house and re-designed their 9mm magwell block.  They just started shipping the new version which is a 2 piece design that installs through the bottom of the magwell and does not require the bolt latch release to be removed when installing.  The price is now up from $40 to $59, still much less expensive than other magwell blocks and sounds like the new design is improved. Will see if it functions reliably and will report back.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. I use a Hahn dedicated black that has been EXTREAMLY reliable for many years. I have is in a older billet lower that was known for tight mag wells, so this one is pretty much no longer dedicated, but permanent.

I have read a lot of less then stellar reports from bottom loader mag blocks. But at that price point....and if it turns out to be reliable....it will be a good deal.

The ProMag magwell block arrived yesterday. Happy to report that it installed easily in about 30 seconds, from the bottom, you do not need to remove the bolt latch release.  There is a button on the wall of the adapter to press to separate the adapter into 2 pieces.  They each slide in from the bottom of the magwell and snap together, no tensioning screws and no tools required.  It's an easy in, easy out deal, quick change.  I took it to the range today. It ran flawless! No tweeks required. It functioned  100% with 9mm round nose 147 grain with 3.2 grains of titegroup, also ran 100% with truncated cone poly coated blue bullets and ran 100% with round nose flat point black bullets with hi-tek coating. Also ran 100% with 165 grain 9mm round nose Xtreme plated with zero dot movement, and very soft.   Got LRBHO every time.  The Metalform mags clicked in nice and easy with a very positive click, and dropped freely with the mag release.  I got the magwell block, 2 mags and a promag  loading tool for a total of $100 delivered.  Even the $10 loading tool worked well, allows you to load 5 rounds at a time with the push of a slide bar and can be used to empty the mags quickly without shredding your fingers, and was a lot less than the Mag Lula. This thing was a homerun!!

10 hours ago, 3GDad said:

The ProMag magwell block arrived yesterday. Happy to report that it installed easily in about 30 seconds, from the bottom, you do not need to remove the bolt latch release.  There is a button on the wall of the adapter to press to separate the adapter into 2 pieces.  They each slide in from the bottom of the magwell and snap together, no tensioning screws and no tools required.  It's an easy in, easy out deal, quick change.  I took it to the range today. It ran flawless! No tweeks required. It functioned  100% with 9mm round nose 147 grain with 3.2 grains of titegroup, also ran 100% with truncated cone poly coated blue bullets and ran 100% with round nose flat point black bullets with hi-tek coating. Also ran 100% with 165 grain 9mm round nose Xtreme plated with zero dot movement, and very soft.   Got LRBHO every time.  The Metalform mags clicked in nice and easy with a very positive click, and dropped freely with the mag release.  I got the magwell block, 2 mags and a promag  loading tool for a total of $100 delivered.  Even the $10 loading tool worked well, allows you to load 5 rounds at a time with the push of a slide bar and can be used to empty the mags quickly without shredding your fingers, and was a lot less than the Mag Lula. This thing was a homerun!!

Let's see some pictures of the magwell block please.

I have a bottom loading Spike's Tactical cuz that's all that was around years ago.  When it dies I'll go to a top loader from Hahn.  I did not have to remove the bolt latch for installation.

• 5 months later...

Yup.  Pro mag and ASC mags fed round nose flawlessly with the ProMag adapter, but they were tight in the magwell, and wouldn't drop freely, not great for quick mag changes. The metalform mags drop beautifully, they were fantastic for mag changes but had inconsistent feeding issues with that combo, ended up moving to a Hahn block and use it with the metalform mags now, but I have a buddy who still uses the Pro Mag adapter without any issues for him.