Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody try 165gr 9mm reloads from Tanfo's?

I've been shooting Xtreme 147gr 9mm out of my pistols, first by Glock 34 and now my Limited Pro.  I've heard the CZ's sometimes like the 135gr but some competition guys I know shoot 147gr out of them too.  Has anybody tried 165gr reloads out of their Tanfo's and what did you think?  I would think there would be slightly less recoil, but hows the accuracy?  I shoot my Limited Pro 9mm USPSA Production and IDPA.  I also use Titegroup powder and Winchester primers.

That weight would (i imagine) bulge the cases often enough to cause problems.

Unless you have the barrel reamed out to allow VERY long loads. You might need 38s mags to make the length work.

That said, i don't think the slow slide resulting from it would be acceptable. Heck, i don't like the slide speed of 147s.   i also would be trepidatious about over pressure and spontaneous disassembly with the load. Probably manageable, but i prefer my fingers attached. 

But, take all that^^ with a grain of salt as i haven't run them.

Edited by johnbu

I ran xtreme 165s. This was back when Bevin was the only guy w a tanfo reamer. I tried them from 1.14 - 1.175 (mag inner is 1.185, and you have to account for tilt). The recoil was nice, but the accuracy was horrible. I found 124s running at a higher velocity than standard power factor was my preference. 

Edit... btw, I ran them with nasty titegroup.

Edited by SoCalShooter69

17 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Like @SoCalShooter69 I started with 150gr SWCs from bayou...

I'm finding I'm a big fan of the way 124s run my gun and they're quite a bit cheaper and I beleive they result in marginally tighter groups. Jury is still out on that one.

Once I moved to a single base powder, it really made a difference. Overkill for most, but what the hell.

9 hours ago, johnbu said:

I still prefer the odd ball 135gr.

Good choice. I shot twenty thousand of them through my M&P.

Perhaps since I'm used to those in a gun half the weight of the Tanfo, I don't mind the slightly snappier nature of the 124 and like the extra zip to the slide's cycling?

On 6/27/2017 at 9:01 AM, 1eyedfatman said:

I've been shooting Xtreme 147gr 9mm out of my pistols, first by Glock 34 and now my Limited Pro.  I've heard the CZ's sometimes like the 135gr but some competition guys I know shoot 147gr out of them too.  Has anybody tried 165gr reloads out of their Tanfo's and what did you think?  I would think there would be slightly less recoil, but hows the accuracy?  I shoot my Limited Pro 9mm USPSA Production and IDPA.  I also use Titegroup powder and Winchester primers.

I shot my friend's 165 reloads out of my Elite Limited.  Very soft and accuracy was certainly good enough for action pistol matches.  I didn't shoot from a bench for groups.

I've been a fan of the 135 bayou and now BBI in all my 9mm guns even my PCC and they have produced great accuracy it's a good balance between recoil and cost and it's less finicky on loading for different guns (147's have given me problems in a few guns with tight chambers). I have also been able to use the same load for all my guns and make power factor. 

I use:

135 gr (bayou or black bullets) RN

1.1" oal

4.0 gr CFE pistol 

Shot this out of a stock II last weekend and was able to nail a 8" plate st 100 yards 4 out of 5 shots 

I tried 160 bayous a couple years ago and the get the gun to cycle reliably with WST it was getting a little hotter than I'd have liked and then it was putting out more recoil than was worth it over 124's or 135's (plus cross platform reliability I mentioned earlier was unacceptable)