Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pic Rail Optic Mount

zx9rt1

I am currently using the UM3 mount with my 10mm Witness Steel and feel ambivalent towards it. I use this as my long range precision pistol, not as a competition gun.

Pros:

-using a cheap TRS25, no zero shift or other issues over a few hundred rounds of heavy 10mm handloads

-the holster is really cool. Fast to draw, uses a bladetech paddle which is removable, universal for all guns

-you still get a pic rail, which I often use to mount a bipod and/or shellcatcher. That feature alone sold me over the UM3's competition

-fits most guns with a picatinny rail, excellent for comparing groups with different loads

-you can still use your iron sights without removing the mount

Cons:

-mounting system is STUPID. it is sopposed to enable quick detach but to detach it on most guns you have to loosen the optic, defeating the purpose

-the mounting system is such that if I push back on the UM3 it slides backward on the rail. If this causes a POI shift in a match and you don't notice it happening it could ruin your day

-when tightened down on my P07 the tension on the barrel prevents gun from cycling

-height over bore is pretty big. With the TRS25 it is 1.25" above irons. Hard to switch back and forth with any other gun and maintain an efficient index

Overall, the UM3 would be 3x better if it used a normal cross-bolt system to attach to the rail, but it is still probably the best cheap option.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:11 AM, NickD said:

You can use the picatinny rail to mount a UM3 sight mount http://www.umtactical.com/store/p3/UM3_Sight_Mount.html

Slide removal will depend on the height of the rear sights vs how high the UM3 sits over the slide. 

I installed this on a friend's Elite Limited and I had to spend about 20 minutes filing the UM3 to get it to fit correctly.  Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

After installation it was rock solid.