Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking Practice And Local Match Ability

jnshapiro

I shot a match this past weekend and was shooting/moving quite a bit slower than I do in practice and at local matches, and I was a little more clumsy. I've come to the conclusion that I am having trouble taking my practice/local match ability to bigger matches.

I have talked to a couple of shooters and they have suggested that I need to add some element of pressure/competition to my practice. So next time I get to the range, my partner and I will start putting small wagers on practice. Even if it's a nickle a run or who buys lunch.

I know this is in my head.

Any other suggestions to get past this? I estimate that it moved me from an easy 2nd to a hard 4th overall at the match this past weekend.

Joel

I try not to think about the difference too much. I just get up there and do what I can. I try not to push too much, because things get sloppy. My best runs are when I feel like I was standing back watching myself. Sometimes I will feel like it was very slow, but actually was very quick and accurate.

I don't have a partner to practice with, so I can't really comment on that. I do have drills that I go thru in practice with set par times to beat. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Mike

To me there is practice, and there are matches.

It dosen't matter to me if it is a local match, or a state match. I approach it all the same. Shoot A's, and just do it. I want to do well, especially at a major, but I don't think about it. All I'm thinking about is just shooting that one stage. There is no pushing for a faster time, I'm just looking for the sights on the next target and pressing the trigger.

*From a relative newbie that's only shot 2 major matches.*

Bingo to the last post...

If your goal is to win, you have to treat every match like it is the Nationals and shoot it accordingly. Local matches are NOT practice, you only get one shot at each stage.

The key to great match performance is repeatability...if you can't shoot a stage with the same score 10 times in a row, you are on the edge and it will eventually catch up with you.

• 2 weeks later...
Bingo to the last post...

The key to great match performance is repeatability...if you can't shoot a stage with the same score 10 times in a row, you are on the edge and it will eventually catch up with you.

Yeah I know those guys