Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riding A Motocycle

j1b

I'm not entirely certain how or when shooting got so complicated. Actually, that's not true, I understand it got complicated because we all are looking to shave the thousanth of a second that will enable us to be that much better.

Still, it's felt mucky to me lately. Way too complex. Not really for me - my more relaxed attitude towards shooting lately has really improved my performance.

Anyhow - I bought a motorcycle and I've been reading up on becoming a good rider. I've been riding quite a bit too. I've learned one thing that ties directly into shooting, whether I believe it or not.

When stearing a motorcycle it is nearly impossible to focus on all that it takes to get the beast where you want it. If we did, we'd be all over the road. The trick in riding is to always be aware of the dangers and understand how to manage them. Always look and be aware of the changing environment.

Most importantly, on those tight turns at speed - don't do anything but look at where you want to go. NOT where you are. NOT the cars coming by. NOT the yellow line or the median. Look where you want to go, and it will in fact happen.

Shoot open or shoot limited. Fast or slow. Shoot all A's or drop 9. Whatever you choose. Look where you want to go and you will get there. Look where you are and you'll end up in the ditch.

We over complicate a simple thing. I realize that more and more as I see folks in this forum striving like I was to get all I could when in reality I wasn't doing the simple things I needed to do. Don't worry about the little shit. Look where you want to be, you know how to get there, you just don't know you know how to get there.

J

If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest taking a basic motorcycle class based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) materials. I am a former instructor and strongly believe the training will save peoples lives and help them enjoy riding much more due to confidence and training. Just the insurance discounts will pay for much of the class and it is fun to spend an entire weekend doing nothing but riding (in a parking lot) and learning new things about riding.

You are right that looking where you want to go is very important. It is also important to understand how the motorcycle operates and how to get the most out of it. That is very important in emergency maneuvering to avoid trouble. Practicing those skill is important. Practicing where someone trained can observe and help you is invaluable IMO. Yes, I am biased but motorycle training was my job for a year and I saw lots of rookie mistakes and helped many riders become much better riders.

Many of you probably have found this book.

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

by David L. Hough

The book for street riding.

It is an excellent book and he was very involved in early MSF work. I would be surprised if many libraries did not have a copy. It's a good read.

Thanks for taking the class and being a positive influence on motorcycling. The ERC is a nice update every year or 2.

I also too the Motorcycle Safety course several years back (It was required if you rode a motorcycle and were in the military). Good course.

Definitely agree with Erik and j1b look at where you want to go, and not at where you don't wanna be.

I've done a couple of stints at California SuperBike School, www.superbikeschool.com, at Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta race tracks. Awesome bike training. Keith's got a couple of books and video's that are definitely worth checking out. The vision, focus and handling tips etc are the same for the street as the track.