Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 4 - Confessions Of A Newbie

Genghis

1. I shot the match with a new gun which came in the day before. I only had the chance to zero it at 25 yards, which didn't help on the 50y stage. And I never did get used to the trigger. So on the 50y stage I got one (1) Delta out of 18 rounds fired. Getting your equipment in order is part of the job.

2. On one stage I ran past an array of 3 targets without shooting them. I should have at least tipped my hat at them. Luckily (?) the RO forgot to write my score down, so I got to reshoot it. Of course THAT was a reshoot because I hit a target stand and dropped a plate the first time, which was a clean run to that point. On the third run I hit a good guy and had three Mikes. Better than three FTE's, but there's no excuse for doing so badly on the third try.

3. On another stage I FTE'd three other targets. This time the RO did write my score down.

4. On another stage the guy who won Super Senior Open told me to engage the sliding plates with one round each, and stop if they went behind the barrier. Instead, I emptied the rest of the mag at the slivers that were visible, and added five or ten seconds to the Mikes.

5. On two stages with barriers, I stuck my arms thru gaps. On one I lost probably a second pulling them out so I could move on, and I almost broke the 180. On the other my arms jammed into the gap and I could barely even engage one of the targets.

During my first match I used one of those cheap black nylon holsters, clipped to my belt. On one stage I drew the gun, looked at the holster still stuck on the gun, flicked the holster off then fired.

During my second match I carefully tightened the sight using Loctite . . . AFTER the match. Getting your equipment in order is part of the job.

During my first two matches, three different times I drew, took careful aim, then pressed the trigger, then cursed and took off the safety and pressed the trigger again.

During the first two matches after I started reloading, I had two squib loads (no powder) in two consecutive matches.

During another match when I was having lots of failures, I heard "click," did a quick "tap-rack-click," did a quick speed reload then another "tap-rack-click," then proceeded to kneel down and dig the first mag out of the sand and stick it into the gun. Oh, and I almost broke the 180, which scared the two guys standing at about the 181 with the video camera. During the first few months I had so many failures, including lots of failures to go into battery, that I had constant wounds on my left hand from the rear sight (which stuck out past the end of the slide over the hammer).

A few days before another match (a classifier) I replaced the slide release and didn't bother to test the gun before the match. I had at least 25 failures because the slide kept locking back over loaded mags. Getting your equipment in order is part of the job.

During another recent match (one of the ones with a squib) I was calmly plugging away at the target when the rear sight separated from the slide and hit me in the lens of my sunglasses. I picked it up and launched it into the woods, and shot the last stage with no rear sight. Only one Mike, though!

As they say, good judgment comes from experience, which comes from bad judgment.

>Experience will get you through most of that. I've done the same FTE thing at my first Major (just one target). It cost me the match too...

The winning D-Limited shooter finished 1.21 percentage points above me. I'm quite sure the three FTE's cost me the match. I haven't run the numbers, but changing one Mike to a Charlie might have won it.

DUDE!!!!

Do you have a black cloud hanging over your head? :D:o:lol:

dj

Now having said that, I loaded a round backwards in my mag at A4. Terrible jam. Cleared it and added 15 seconds to my time. How do you load a round backwards? duh!!! ;)

dj

Just think back to our full day handgun training class and realize how far you've come in such a short time, so it isn't all bad. :) I'll see ya in Longview and Tyler again this month, most likely.

Mike

Now having said that, I loaded a round backwards in my mag at A4. Terrible jam. Cleared it and added 15 seconds to my time. How do you load a round backwards? duh!!! ;)

You don't have to, if you made the mistake I've made more than once. If you dropped a partially loaded mag during a reload on a previous stage, and it hits basepad down, the momentum can drive the remaining rounds down into the mag body, and then the spring drives them back up. Occasionally, a round will flip on its way back, since it isn't being held in place by spring pressure. If you don't unload and then reload the mag, then, the backwards round may not be noticed until the gun tries to chamber it in your next COF. Happens more with weak mag springs, and with nearly full mags, I think.

So now I unload completely, and then reload. Fresh mag springs or not, I get to check mag function, clean the mag and the ammo, and avoid the dreaded bullet lookin' right atcha jam :P

Kevin C.

I had to move on to the next thread and come back to respond AFTER I finally stopped lauging...

During my first match I used one of those cheap black nylon holsters...

I could see it coming, and the visual in my mind was just hilarious... Especially after picturing your arms wedged ina port and your head trying to see around them to engage the target...

On another stage the guy who won Super Senior Open told me to engage the sliding plates...

I learned to listen to "experienced guys" from the senior NCO back when I was at Lamar... Picking out the "right" guys to listen to, who've been there, is a great approach in any field of interest.

Gotta love your ability to be so brutally honest about your screw-ups.... :)

Where you out of? Dallas?

gotta give it to him, he has guts..

to shoot a level three match with a unproven gun. aside from being unproven it was unfamiliar too(glock 35 and he used to shoot a para)

shooting limited with 15 round mags, and kydex gear, i told him he was going to get his ass handed to him and he shot anyway!

he has had a sting of bad luck too.

at our local steel match he had a squib and when I was ROing him at the match before A4 he had another..

"shooter ready? standby...beep.......bam, bam, pfffft." ahh the terrible sound of a primer dislodging the bullet from the case.

he zeroed that stage with about 320 penalty points on a 90 point stage.

Ok, he goes clears the lodged bullet from the bore, shoots the next stage OK,,time for stage 6, I am ROing him again...Bam bam bam bam, ouch...damn that was a heavy piece of brass(i thought). Come to find out his rear sight broke, hit him and then hit me...

he finished, the hits were nasty, but he finished that stage....

I thought he was through for the day( after all that, i would be) but he continues to shoot the last stage of the day which is a 32 round field course without a rear sight.

Definitely seems to have the determination part down... :)

Longview... hmmm... Tyler... hmmm... My favorite Aunt lives in Tyler... What days/locations are some of the matches around y'all? Maybe I could come shoot a match over there sometime. I'm building a list of who shoots where within about a 200 mile radius...

The challenge isn't messing up the things you did as a newbie, it's doing those things as a vet.

After many matches and many rounds I can tell you FTE is a fairly familiar term. More familiar than I'd prefer ;)

J

Definitely seems to have the determination part down...  :)

Longview...  hmmm...  Tyler...  hmmm...  My favorite Aunt lives in Tyler...  What days/locations are some of the matches around y'all?  Maybe I could  come shoot a match over there sometime.  I'm building a list of who shoots where within about a 200 mile radius...

first sunday, 10 am in tyler we have the uspsa match

first saturday in longview we have the informal steel match (lots of falling plates,poppers, texas star, ect.)

second sunday is a match in lufkin.

third sunday is a match in oakwood.

fourth saturday there is a match in lufkin again.

if i could get the time off, i would never go a weekend without shooting a match. ;)

cautery -

I'm out of Tyler. Come on down - look forward to meeting you.

I think you're just wanting to come down to see the next train wreck.

Seriously, these things are hilarious - but it takes a week or so for me to be able to appreciate the humor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to defer to cnemikeman on the fancy reload. He grabbed the mag and apparently missed the magwell altogether, tossing the mag a couple feet in the air. Without missing a beat he caught it, inserted it, and kept shooting. We have the Speed Reload, Tac Reload, Reload with Retention, and now the Alley Oop Reload!

I was hoping Harmon would miss me loading the mag backwards. I figured it was more appropriate for the bullets to be pointed towards me, after how I did on the previous stages.