Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra Parts For Open Gun

1hotrod

Having an extra fitted extractor and a fitted firing pin stop can save you from going home early from matches or practice sessions. Slide stops and barrel links can give out too, usually with some warning [cracks] which is nice.

Friend of mine just broke his hammer strut at a match. 45acp Ltd10 gun with a lot of rounds on it.

I broke my recoil spring cap in practice. Guide rods made of anything but steel are also prone to breaking, although some go decades without problems.

Let's see. Extra firing pin and stop, extractor, slide stop, sear spring (had one go bad at a match), c-more battery, recoil spring, guide rod and plug, ejector, mag release, and grip screws. All of this stuff came from other guns so I didn'tcost me anything. Also carry tools like an allen wrench, screwdriver, hammer, etc. and loctite.

Make sure that you fit those parts first on the gun where you intend to use it. My spare extractor didnt function well (too tight) when I bought it so I tweaked it a little bit to make it a drop-in replacement when that time comes.

Spare fitted extractor if you are not using Aftec, spare springs for Aftec if you are. Spare recoil spring.

Spare shok buffs (if you use them).

Spare mag springs and followers for Hi-caps.

Spare fiber for fiber optics, batteries for scopes and hearing protectors.

Spare firing pin, spring, and stop (I have seen the firing pin stop come out during a stage and firing pin go bye bye).

This might be a stupid question but, Isn't it easier just to have a back up gun? I know a lot of us have other open guns in the safe other than our primary.

Not saying I don't carry parts, It's just easier to swap out a gun at a match than try to play gunsmith in the field. (MHO)

As far as parts go: slide stop, firing pin, fiber optic rod for front sight. screws for scope mount,

Not to mention no two guns will shoot the same, I'd say its better to fix your primary gun than switch to a back-up if possible.

Don't forget to carry an extra hammer and sear.

BJ (I really need to start looking at who's signed in) Norris