Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting the Elite Match (SAO) to use the Curved (SA/DA) trigger?

hav3n

So I'm working up my Match into a limited gun but want to keep the same feel as my Lim Pro I've been shooting in Production.

One of the things I'd like to do is use the DA/SA curved trigger in SAO.

So I dropped in an extra EAA / Tanfoglio Witness Large Frame DA/SA Trigger (for reference http://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-large-frame-da-sa-trigger-102014-1/) I had lying around and while it works the trigger doesn't stay back into 'SA' mode. This means that there is a lot of 'takeup' in the trigger as it's releasing all the way out to the max of that DA every time.

Do I have to do the full conversion to DA/SA in order to get the same trigger feel? (Though I'd shoot it in Limited cocked and locked) Or what am I missing to get the trigger to stay back in SA?

I'm also thinking about adding a Pre-Travel adjustment screw to the trigger I have and just try a 'bubba enhancement' similar to the pre-travel screw that comes with the factory trigger. Worse case scenario I ruin a trigger I'm not going to use anyways.

Thoughts?

On 4/28/2017 at 10:23 PM, kneelingatlas said:

Drill and tap it for a pre travel screw

That's what I do. (Have3n) if you are having trouble getting through the trigger sharpen the drill bit yourself on the grind I know when I was trying to dimple my barrel it didn't do anything but spin than I sharpened it and could have drilled right through the barrel if I wanted to.

8 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I've done one before, I suppose I could do it again.  The other option is to use a short reset disco like in your Limited Pro.

Can i see a picture of where you drilled an tapped? I've got several ideas but none seem that great.

45 minutes ago, thompsoncustom said:

That's what I do. (Have3n) if you are having trouble getting through the trigger sharpen the drill bit yourself on the grind I know when I was trying to dimple my barrel it didn't do anything but spin than I sharpened it and could have drilled right through the barrel if I wanted to.

You're right, I'm just spinning right now. I'll trying sharpening it tonight.

15 hours ago, hav3n said:

Bubba finds a way. It's not pretty but it's functional and feels WAY closer to my Lim Pro than before.

IMG_6793.PNG

Was there any way to drill and tap the hole higher than what we see here?

6 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Was there any way to drill and tap the hole higher than what we see here?

You talking about the over-travel stop or the pre-travel? Honestly the answer for both, in my case, is that it was the flattest part of the trigger in both places. I was having trouble getting my drill bits to 'bite' into the metal and any angles just deflected the drill bit even more. So I went with the easiest places to drill that would still be functional. And this is what you get.

Someone with better tools might be able to do a better job but I had to make due with with I had. 

That said the factory overtravel stop is in a similar place. 

You talking about the over-travel stop or the pre-travel? Honestly the answer for both, in my case, is that it was the flattest part of the trigger in both places. I was having trouble getting my drill bits to 'bite' into the metal and any angles just deflected the drill bit even more. So I went with the easiest places to drill that would still be functional. And this is what you get.

Someone with better tools might be able to do a better job but I had to make due with with I had. 

That said the factory overtravel stop is in a similar place. 

I meant the pre travel. I figured that it would have to be crooked so that it would engage the frame a little better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

I meant the pre travel. I figured that it would have to be crooked so that it would engage the frame a little better.

Yeah that was my initial plan. Like the factory one. This is more of a pre-travel 'stop' rather than a pre-travel adjustment screw but after fiddling with it for about 2 hours I did what I could and got reasonable results.

I'm thinking i'm going to add some sort of spacer/collar on the pre-travel screw and use that to take some more pre-travel out. But... beyond that any more effort will be better spent getting the DA/SA parts in there with a BOLO.

I was thinking of doing something similar down the road with the same trigger (and no pre travel adjustment), the BOLO, Titan hammer, and a 14 lb Wolff hammer spring.

Edited by himurax13

2 hours ago, himurax13 said:

I was thinking of doing something similar down the road with the same trigger (and no pre travel adjustment), the BOLO, Titan hammer, and a 14 lb Wolff hammer spring.

Exactly - This would be the proper way to go. Completely remove pre-travel screw, and fit a bolo/titan/(1piece sear if it does not already have one). The previous issue was guys were trying this with the pre-travel screw still in - you ned to remove it, if you use a bolo (in this specific case).

Edit: to the original question - this is the mod if using the DA trigger, as well.

Edited by SoCalShooter69

If I remember right, I ran an oversized and fitted Disconnector on my CZ Single Action frame with no wings to eliminate the pre-travel. Is that situation the same with the BOLO or do you leave the wing intact?

25 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

If I remember right, I ran an oversized and fitted Disconnector on my CZ Single Action frame with no wings to eliminate the pre-travel. Is that situation the same with the BOLO or do you leave the wing intact?

You can run it with the wing. The wing is only for DA action, but won't give you any issue if you run it in SA, with a one piece sear. The stock sear on FPB guns (Tanfos and CZ's) do not allow an oversized disconnector to fit under the sear cage. 

1 hour ago, himurax13 said:

I am not sure what you mean. I have fitted many oversized disconnectors to CZ75's in the past. Is the CGW sear that much different than stock?

Sorry, let me clarify - have you fit a Firing Pin Block model CZ75 with a T3? If so, did you replace the FPB lifter with a spacer (pictured below), or install a pre-b sear/cgw sear?

20151212_150300-1_zpsildxt8oy.JPG

Edited by SoCalShooter69

Sorry, let me clarify - have you fit a Firing Pin Block model CZ75 with a T3? If so, did you replace the FPB lifter with a spacer (pictured below), or install a pre-b sear/cgw sear?

20151212_150300-1_zpsildxt8oy.thumb.JPG.64f60d21ef94491a9e3e2bc5feae5873.JPG

Typically I only use a Type 2 disco with FPB CZ's to keep them legal for production/SSP.

12 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

Typically I only use a Type 2 disco with FPB CZ's to keep them legal for production/SSP.

The T3 is the "oversized" disco, not the T2. The T3 won't work with the FPB CZ's as I stated earlier. The T2 is drop-in, as the T3 is typically less likely depending on the competency of the person doing the trigger job. It's still smaller than the bolo. I know a Few guys that have gone the bolo route in their CZ ('s) over the T3 and been very happy. 

The Type 3 will not work with the Firing pin block CZ-75's because the firing pin block and lifter have a longer reset than a regular shadow model. If the firing pin block is removed and the lifter is replaced with a spacer, then a Type 3 can be used to give the same reset that Shadow slide can have.

I never even thought of using the BOLO in a CZ. I thought the Tanfoglio Hammer pin was wider than the CZ pin.