Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting My Thumb Smacked By The Slide Racker!

BigDave

A local shooter let me fire several rounds out of his Bedell 9mm shorty Open blaster today. I load it up, feels really good in the hands. I put the dot on a broken clay on the backstop, trigger...

OUCH!!! sonufabeeeeeatch!

The slide racker came and smacked my left thumb. Scared the crap out of me because I wasn't sure what happened at first. Anyway, finished the test drive. Nice gun, Dan!

The thumb is still in one piece, allbeit a bit sore. This is why I don't shoot open.

That'll teach ya to let those thumbs float around up there! :) When I used to shoot a P9 in Open, I had that happen a couple of times. On any CZ style Open gun, there's even *less* slide to grab than on a 1911, so the racker really helped. I had to have my smith bend the racker around so as to help avoid that situation. Bruised my thumb up nice a couple of times, though... :( Never had it return once I started shooting an STI frame....

I was never a big slide racker fan because I was always worried about it hitting my thumb. Welllll, what I did on my latest gun was took the sidewinder racker, heated it up and bent it. I bet even the guy with the fatest thumbs could not hit the racker now. It's way up there and I have not even thought about it since (thanks for the info on how-to Bedell).

The last slide racker that I had was on my P9... I had to remove it in order to get the slide off for cleaning (due to a scope mount). After a while it started getting a tad loose. As I was shooting a stage the slide racker flew off and hit square in the middle of my Oakleys.

If I hadn't been wearing them I would have lost an eye. I didn't think about it at the time but got the shakes a few hours later...

It's the reason why I still use Oakleys. Other glasses are just as tough I'm sure, but I've never tested them by smacking them with a lump of aircraft grade aluminium zipping along at 60mph.

I've never used a slide racker and likely never will, they just don't seem worth the aggravation. Never needed it on my P9 or any gun since. A little skateboard tape (or slide grooves) at the back of the slide will work fine enough for me.

Table starts, unloaded starts, and speed of clearing a malfunction can all be good reasons to use them. I never ever wanted one until I took TJ class, since I have tried (unsuccessful until I bent mine) to use them. Setup right I like them now.

They are UGLY...

I can agree w/ that. Back when my open gun was an EAA 9x21, the gun came w/ a slide racker already on. It was mounted on the right hand side of the gun so i never had any problems w/ it hitting my thumbs. I tried shooting w/ it removed, but because of the low Weigand mount it wasn't possible to grip the slide. It did however save my slide from the concrete the time i broke the slidestop. The racker caught on the scope mount preventing slide launch.

On my new STI, i opted not to have any slide cuts or racker. I really like the clean look of the gun w/o the racker and I have never had a problem clearing a jam quickly or operating the gun.

No GLOCK's are Ugly. Really is that a reason?

I'd be willing to race anyone with one vs. w/o one.

Yes it's a small advantage, but still an advantage.

I remember when I had an STI GM and was shooting with the super squad a few years back. Stage start was gun unloades and hold this helmet thing over our heads. ( I sold DVD's of it, stage 3 I think) Chris Tilley got out of the box and gun loaded and racked better than anyone. He gained some match points and the stage win on that stage.